Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rare Spares

Sandman Guru

Rare Spares

This is mainly for the guys here doing resto stuff and work for Sandmans, including (but not limited to) Absinth, Stickthis, Ozbox etc. Probably Rod and Jennie too as you've just finished a resto.

I'm flying down to Melbourne on wednesday for a special event at Rare Spares. They've invited a small group of forum admins down for a day, not 100% sure what it is all about. I have a feeling it will be about image, future products etc (I may be 100% wrong). From Fastlane myself, Dr Terry and Warren T are going as far as I know. So before tuesday night can you guys give me a small list of ideas, bitches, nice to haves, complaints, basically feedback of any kind particular to Sandmans? It doesn't have to be with respct to Rare Spares products, you could wish to tell them you can't get sump bolt washers anymore and want them reproed! Absinth I saw your post on Fastlane about HJ console bits so basically that sort of stuff. I have a feeling that this might be an opportunity not to be missed. I'm asking you guys as although I understand the Sandman very well, I haven't actually been involved in restoring a HQ-WB for many years so i'm not current in what bits you guys are having trouble finding. Last time I restored one you could find one owner cars still in every wrecking yard! My recent experience in these has been in maintaining my Overlander and HJ Premier, which is very different to the restoration process (by restoration I mean not just a vehicle, but of parts themselves eg what Sean does with dash facias). Plus i've always had sheds full of HK-WB bits so often stuff I see as common too (as I have heaps) is hard to find for others.

I'll pass it over to you guys for comment. If the day has nothing to do with this, i'll compile it all into a list anyway and i'll pass it on to Rares later. At least they might listen to me if they think enough of me to invite me to this event!

Byron

Cruiser
    Where do I start......I bought about $3000.00 in RS stuff over the past 12 months for my HJ Sandman van. There was a time when I was eager to open up the box full of goodies but lately I've had to lower my expectations....and still been disappointed.

I ordered a HJ engine bay wiring clip set......the parts in the kit are not even in the HJ parts book and ones they reckon are correct dont even look like the original.

I ordered a set of ext mirrors. The heads are a different shape and you can see the machine marks on the stems from whatever they used to make the die for them.

The 1/4 repeater lights have a slightly different radius and you can see day light through the opening when they are fitted up.

The spark plug lead retainers that are supposed to clip onto the rocker covers dont lock on and fall off at the drop of a hat.

The RS right hand cowl vent drain tube is not flared like the left hand one and does not fit.

On the bright side,( if there is one out of $3000.00 worth), their door rubbers seem to be pretty good and fitted up OK.
    Their instrument lens kit and wiper switch cover are OK.

I haven't fitted everything up as yet but it's getting to the point where I say a little prayer every time I open a new RS part.

If they want to get serious about what they do then they need some real changes in the quality assurance dept.

Sandman Guru
    This is the sort of stuff that I will pass on, regardless of what Wednesday is about. I'll put it all together and see what comes of it.

Hi
    We have found the tailgate we purchased from Rares to be so thin we have already dented it all over, and that was being careful, it is a shame because we will have to put a board over it so we can get in and out of the back...the bonnet rubber which we may have got from rares, I cannot for the life of me remember where it came from, but I think it was an agent for rares, anyway it didn't fit and held the bonnet up too high, it was too thick....the dress rims for the GTS wheels have a severe sharp edge on them, and we will have to grind them or loose our fingers when we wipe them. Other than that most of the other stuff has been quite good....the tyre placard was not as good as the one stickthis supplied so we will return it....if they let us, it wasn't much so not a drama...I will check about other stuff when Rodney gets home, and update this thread. We ordered some armrests 8 months ago, and they are still on backorder, maybe they are trying to make them a better way, am not sure of that one.

Okay Rodney home now, there was some problem with the side rear blinker inserts, I had to grind a lug off one, so it could be turned over because they didn't make a right left one, also therere was a hole in the red clearance light end of this insert so I had to cut a small piece of steel and glue it on so the lense didnt fill up with dust...the replacement guage classes, did fit perfectly and look good, but had to drill a hole through the speedo glass for the trip meter. I supppose this is not a big deal as they are made for a full range..I can't be 100% sure why but my window installer, had the choice of the original holden rubber for the rear window, and the new rares one and he chose the original rubber

Our GST hubs are okay the wheel nuts are okay even though they more closely resemble HQ wheel nuts..but I am dissapointed that I have probably got in and out of the van 20 times to date, and there are 12 dents on the rares tailgate....even though we are criticle of rares products at least they are doing them and we couldn't have got parts without them....

thanks for taking this all on board Byron enjoy Melbourne
    Last edited by jennie285; 07-02-2011 at 09:14 PM.
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Cruiser
    Also, their rear beaver panel dosen't have the recess for the winch handle to go through but I've bought that to their attention and I believe they are fixing it.
    Their full top cowl replacement panel was nothing short of a joke and I got my money back on that one. Again, I'm told they have stopped making them and were trying to find a new supplier for the corner section only.

As for their tailgate....yet another joke. You have to do modifcations to make it fit a van (like cut the top corners out and weld them up again)
    Have you ever tried welding tissue paper?
    Last edited by GTS; 07-02-2011 at 12:41 PM.

Sandman Guru
    Just a note too, as well as problems, also looking for stuff that is actually good, and stuff you want them to do (so make, repro, refurbish etc). Basically the old physcological trick of providing as much positive feedback as negative.

Cruiser
    Wish list

HJ GTS dash facia
    1 litre cans of correct interior colour paint
    Top tailgate....not made of tissue paper
    Van lower tailgate .....not made of tissue paper
    HJ windscreen washer bottle with the correct markings
    Replacement plastic covers for the bucket seat mechanism
    HJ grille badge and insert
    HJ grille
    The little spring for the lock on the top tailgate struts
    Upper and lower dash alloy mounting frames. Most I've seen either have a big cut out for a CD player or the bonnet cable retaining hole is broken off.
    Last edited by GTS; 07-02-2011 at 01:29 PM.

Banned
    I have been pretty happy with the gts mirrors and the 4 speed console insert. Have no genuine mirrors to compare with though.
    The cowl replacement corner bits are no where near the correct shape either but can be helpful in a way.
    Othetrwise nothing to report. Have a fun trip!

Cruiser
    More for the wish list

lower tailgate screws ( the countersunk phillips head ones) and star washers to suit.

top and bottom tailgate bolt kit including the lower tailgate strap bolts

replacement radio knobs and the little chrome bits behind them

the RS lower tailgate straps are OK

On a positive note...I fitted up the r/h door with their door seal. The material they make them out of now is much MUCH better than the old ones I bought off them years ago for my EK.
    Last edited by GTS; 07-02-2011 at 04:40 PM.

Console inserts and lids are incorrect as per this thread.

http://www.fastlane.com.au/forums/to...TOPIC_ID=23461

Are the console lid plastic mounting tabs, screws and spring available seperately from the lids?? I can't find them in the online catalogue.

GTS clock reset knob and grub screw HJ,HX,HZ

Round knob bonnet release cable for HQ.... HJ/HX.. currently only T handle HZ/WB style available.

GTS speedo and tacho front housing, the black part with the mounting lugs. The majority of these have broken or cracked mounting lugs and not everyone has a welder or can weld plastic to repair them.

GTS dash plastic repair panel for the radio cutout would be really good...

HJ,HX,HZ GTS dash warning light lenses..... correct repro's not the poor excuse they are at the moment.

Plastic light bulb holder for GTS fascia warning lights available seperately as it is often missing on original fascia's.

Chrome border on the currently available HZ GTS dash fascia and the above lenses...

Correct repro GMH key blanks for HQ,HJ,HX..... squared for ignition, doors and tailgate and rounded for glovebox locks.....

--- Updated ---

Quote Originally Posted by GTS View Post
    Wish list

1 litre cans of correct interior colour paint
    These are available from any Holden dealership that has a paint section in their Parts department.
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Thread Information