Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: HQ Sandman found!!

Thumbs up Got her home!

Well i picked her up and took her home, the first drive was every bit as enjoyable as id hoped.
    She purred all the way home and copped the expected looks from admirers that knew what it actually was.
    Im a luck bugger and wanna thank all on the site who gave their positive opinions and also the ones who gave the advice as well, thanks to the people who run the show cause without you i wouldnt have known who to ask or how to be able to waste so much time on a dqaily basis at work learning all this fantastic info!!
    As a younger bloke in my 30's who isn't real mechanically minded it was invaluable.
    Good on the lotta ya! Im keen to catch up with anyone that comes to Tassie, just msg me!
    I ve put a couple more pics up to add to my gallery and will continually update them with the travels that Sandy and i go on!
    When i get my "MYSANDMAN.COM" sticker she will be going straight on the back above the "DONT LAUGH IT COULD BE YOUR DAUGHTER INSIDE"
    Keep on Vannin!

Cruiser
    I'll send you one of my "dont laugh your gradma might be inside" stickers for when you get a bit older...like me.

Thumbs up

Nice!! Ill keep it and use it for when the time comes!!

Cheers Buddy

Utter shock! WOW! What a find! It's a HQ too! I'm jealous...

Learner Driver

Thumbs up

What a cracker!
    I'm not one for windowed vans but thats nice.
    Good find.

Coincidence is a wonderful thing. As I was looking for a HQ ute semi seriously for about 18 months I had been looking at one advertised in Qld for quite a while. I decided just after Christmas last year that I would fly up and have a look. Anyway the Qld floods just got worse and I didn't know what to do. The listed price was unrealistic and there was and still is no proof it is a genuine Sandman.

I was talking to the owner for a couple of weeks and still didn't know which way to go as I had to get it Adelaide from central Qld and was considering the cost. Driving wasn't an option as it is not roadworthy.

I asked for photos of all the underneath, ID plates etc and all looked good. I asked the owner did he have any photos of the ute before it was repainted. Yes he did and they filled in a lot of gaps, especially when I could see the original colours on the firewall and around the doors.

I then rang him back one day and he said the business next door had its main office in Adelaide and that they could transport it for me. I rang the gent involved and he said no problem, $250 as a backload. He also verfied some more details on the vehicle which filled more gaps.

Finally I did the mad thing, bought a site unseen vehicle, have paid for it and due to a fire at the the transporters premises in January, are yet to see my ute.

So when I have it I will be so glad, and it's original colour is green like my original HQ Sandman ute was. I don't think that was stamped with XX7 either.

I flew to Geelong to get the hq van and drove it home.

Mauser

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    I flew to Geelong to get the hq van and drove it home.

Mauser
    Bet that felt fantastic and you would have felt like a Million $ as you lived the dream. Followed a green HQ Monaro to work this morning, had to do 70 kmh in a 60 zone to keep up so I could have a gooood squizz. I wasn't a GTS or anything but it looked bloody great.

I found a pic of a sandman ute on flickr

Not much to go on but the rest of the album had a pic of a street sign. I google mapped it.

Nice to see it out on the street when the google car went past.

Quote Originally Posted by GNW1974 View Post
    I asked for photos of all the underneath, ID plates etc and all looked good. I asked the owner did he have any photos of the ute before it was repainted. Yes he did and they filled in a lot of gaps, especially when I could see the original colours on the firewall and around the doors.

So when I have it I will be so glad, and it's original colour is green like my original HQ Sandman ute was. I don't think that was stamped with XX7 either.
    Yes the ol XX7 debate, being fairly uneducated with these matters from what i have learnt there are a few around and its not the be all and end all, some would have you believe otherwise but in so saying that would mean that any Sandman without XX7 would not be able to be gauranteed...i bet theres alot of people who would disagree with this as would I!!

Can someone answer for me and pls excuse my ignorance but wasnt XX7 an option for tyres, what if that option wasnt requested, would there still be an XX7, Was the XX7 only that and just an option...not a requirement??

There will be someone gauranteed can answer this one for me!

--- Updated ---

Also what did the original seatbelts in a HQ look like?
    Mainly i need to know about the clasps, were they plastic fantastic or the oldskool metal Holden ones with the Insignia of the lion on the button??

Thread Information