Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HQ Sandman found!!

HQ Sandman found!!

Hey vanners,

Well recently i came across a HQ Sandman that had all the history to show that it was original and the only minor thing that was found was that it was an Acacia built without the XX7, mind you though i have researched into this quite thoroughly and found that there are a few out there that are genuine that dont have the stamp either, what it does have though is matching serial numbers from the engine to the gearbox and throughout that mark it as completely original and fairly un molested. Even the original sales slip marks it as being Aquamarine in colour when sold to the first owner (i will be the 3rd luck owner).

The story that comes from the original owner and the second is that it was purchased as, and came marked and badged as a 1974 HQ SANDMAN.....I think i just got lucky.

Some of you out there might scoff and say that if it doesn't have the XX7 then it isn't real but this is as true as trying to say that everything that GMH and the Acacia ridge factory did was above board and had full quality control....
    On the other hand i have looked so far into this that i have decided to beleive in luck and chance and move forward with the beleif that it is the elusive HQ SANDMAN, so i want to share it with you all.

I will be taking hold of it within a month or so but have many photos of it and seeing as it is in such orig cond hopefully we can use it as a study to check details and add more info to this great website which will hopefully help others out as well.

Ill try to upload a few pics one i have them re-sized for all to check out and im sure a few question's will be asked....but for a quick look check my profile pic

Cheers

WILL.Co
    Last edited by will.co; 29-03-2011 at 11:23 AM. Reason: remove private details

Banned
    Sounds quite possible to me. I have a set of HJ XX7 panelvan tags here that have quite clearly been stamped as 3 seater and then re-stamped 2 over the top. They must have made some mistakes in Bribane. Cant trust a Queenslander to do the job correctly

Look forward to seeing some pictures.

Nice one mate. Looks great.

The only real problem youre going to have is constantly retelling your story and convincing the naysayers... Especially if you go to sell it.

But that aside, it looks sweet in that small pic and Im sure we all look forward to more pics.

Also a nice free and easy resizing program can be got here - www.irfanview.com

Welcome Will.co! Great news on your HQ and most importantly for you, you have the paperwork to back it all up.

I've moved this from the showroom to Lounge, when you get your car and take photos you can upload them to the gallery and start a showroom thread to share.

Welcome aboard and we look forward to you posting soon.

I reckon I should book a flight to Tassie to see this gorgeous Sandman!

Pics uploaded

http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/album.php?albumid=68

Enjoy

....i am.

Thanks for the comments crew, i agree with Hainzy that at re-sale time it might need someone who beleives as i did that this is real but if they do their research as i did they will come round to the same conclusion as i did.....BUT...i wont ever know cause ill never sell it, when im dead they can pry it outta my cold fingers and do as they please!!

Those side windows are huge. I like the way they're shaped to fit the side panels of the van. Good pickup you got there.

What a great find, in such original and good condition, funny the sale docket was John Smith...you have a lovely old girl there to drive....very rare too
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Classic isn't it...the car and also the John Smith bit, made me laugh when i first saw it.

Thread Information