Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To sell or not to sell - Why must i face the question????

Learner Driver

To sell or not to sell - Why must i face the question????

Hey Guys,
    Just getting the consensus out there from the few wise owls out there? Its John here, posted earlier about my HJ Sandman. I've been speaking a bit more to the wife and she really seems to not want me to sell it (probably because she knows we'll go through buying another one in 5 years time).

Anyway - this is her thoughts which kind of make sense

"John, if you sell the car now, you'll always think about why you didnt do it up, or why you didnt give it a shot. You can't blame yourself for being busy or not having the time - or the money specifically to drop on it.... But John, it can sit there and wait and not go anywhere. If you sell the car now for 10k, in 5 years time when you go to buy another one, which i know you will, you'll be spending 15k or 20k probably to get something like it is in its current state or who knows, even worse. Where as if you actually just wait... cover her up, then spend the 5k or 10k restoring it... you'll have the car you always wanted"

Ehhh... not bad huh! Think my wife is a keeper! (hope she doesnt read this)

Bloody Sandmans!!!!! Who knew they were so much work!!! (Emotionally!!!)

Well there you have it you should always do what your wife says...
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Sandman Guru
    Unless it is meant to be understood that you shouldn't! You can never win, women always think they are right and cannot be convinced otherwise! (sorry Jennie, but this is nearly always true, obviously the odd exception!)

Learner Driver
    Any tales of remorse???

Quote Originally Posted by energy4anarchy View Post
    Any tales of remorse???
    Nope. I bought a farm to keep them on so I wouldn't have any tales later on.

If you have the space, cover it up and keep it. I just pulled mine out of the shed. I reckon it's probably 8 years since I last drove it.

For once a women speaks the truth,And do as she says,I would say the both of them are keepers:happy:

Cheers Kiwivan
    It is not about the journey,It is the style we travel in!

Learner Driver
    Thanks guys... so far i can take away with me.... Buy a farm and listen to your wife : )

John, if you don't need to sell it (money) and have the room then keep it, especially if you are planing on getting another one later. It looks like a good fairly rust free body and is windowless, these will only get harder to find as time goes by.

You have what appears to be a genuine HJ Sandman and is a fairly desirable colour, (Absinth Yellow, the same as my HX) it needs work but unless you are 80 you have plenty of time to do it. My Sandman has been sitting for 3 years and I have collected a few of the missing bits, if I get time I do a bit of parts cleaning or repairing.... I'm not in a hurry, it would be nice to have the time and money just to get into it and finish it quickly but I take solace in the fact that I actually have a genuine Sandman panelvan.
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Learner Driver
    Thanks Guys.. i think i'm 99% sure of my decision!!!

I bought my van 10 years ago and started to restore it. It sat for a long time and I kinda lost interest in it and got into bikes and riding with my kids. Many times I thought about selling it and recently got it out and dusted it off to sell. After a short time on ebay I decided I owe it to my self to finish it and enjoy it. I too have a wife that backed me up and helped me to make the right decision.
    I am now really enjoying getting out in the shed to work on it and collecting more bits and pieces to make it better. It is also great to come to this forum to discuss Sandmans and every thing that goes with owning one. I am also really looking forward to getting it on the road.
    As other have said, if you have the space and don't really need the cash just leave it. Start collecting any bits you need while they are still reasonably priced and stick them away. I would bet that in a few years you will not have any regrets.
    If it helps just think of it as an investment.
    Good luck. Chris
    Last edited by TwoTees; 28-03-2011 at 08:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Thread Information