Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Repairing GTS clock

Banned

Repairing GTS clock

I am starting this thread more as an example of how I can undertake projects with no knowledge of what I am doing and how these projects usually never get finished! Anyway, I will have fun and will put some pics up tonight.

Banned
    I had to ask Absinth how to get the second hand off so all credit goes to him for getting me past point A! Thanks Absinth.

The long thin silver bit with the peg on it what the coil activates to make the clock go, and this where the humming comes from I am guessing.

The green thing is the coil, the tall grey cylinders are two of the capacitors and the flat black thing is also a capacitor(which is meant to be green). The other skinny dudes are diodes. The other round black thing is a transistor.

I am looking forward to seeing if changing out the 3 resistors, 3 capacitors and transistor fix it. Did you get a new coil as well as these can be a problem if they are overheated or burnt out. I have all the bits, just haven't had the time to do it.

Only thing is, I swapped a working clocks PC board into a non working clock and it didn't fix it.... the PC board components may be on their way out but still run a slightly weaker clock mechanism.

The clock mechanisms seem to work fine so it has to be the electronic part that fails.
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Sandman Guru
    Have a look here. There are also links at the bottom too.

http://holdenpaedia.oldholden.com/Clocks

Banned
    Absinth, I did not get a coil and it looks as though it would be the most difficult bit on the board to replace, so that is a last resort at this stage. I replaced the two larger caps last night and will get back onto it when the rest of the bits arrive.

Replacing the board with one that works and still having no luck does not make me too confident, but lets hope.

Thanks for the links Byron, I reckon that a RAAF tech and me would be close to the same skill levels...... not

Banned
    OK. Replaced the 3 Capacitors last night. Put it back together and wired it up to a uhf base station transfromer........ and the tuning fork now hums away but it wont drive the the gear for some reason. Will try a few more things and see how I go.

They are called a tuning fork mechanism. They were designed in the 40's by an English clock making company. JECO of Japan built them and they supplied Smiths with the same mechanism for their clocks.

The tuning fork vibrates when the coil is energised which then drives the clock. This is why the clock hums and is also why the clocks do not tick like a conventional clock.

So our true blue Holdens are running a Japanese clock and strangely it is the most unreliable gauge in the dash!

When you pull the adjusting knob it gives the mechanism a helping hand to start, so if you have had the battery out for a while its not a bad idea to give the clock a flick with the adjuster to get it started when you hook it back up.
    Last edited by wbute; 17-04-2011 at 08:02 AM.

Banned
    Success!!!!!!

Clock two now goes after replacing the caps. Clock one needs further investigation.

haha well done.... but does it keep time?

Mauser

Banned
    I will set it up and run it for a couple of days tonight. Might need a fiddle with the speed adjustment. fingers crossed I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    Success!!!!!!

Clock two now goes after replacing the caps. Clock one needs further investigation.
    Good stuff, I am wondering why ours doesn't hum, and will probably regret saying it didn't after sleeping in the van for 4 days while at Nats, and finding it does...Rodney had the dash out last weekend, and put a little lug on the clock to change the time as all that remained on it was the post which was difficult to get hold of to turn...and yes the way he started the clock back up was to tap it, and turn the hands around, it is still going thankfully.....
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Thread Information