Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: leaf springs 1ton vrs standard springs hq van

leaf springs 1ton vrs standard springs hq van

hi all would anyone know if it would be an advantage to fit 1ton leaf springs to my hq sandman resto, i thought it might help to prevent that normal hq sagging rear, or would another option be more suitable, your feedback would be great,Thanks

Sandman Guru
    Tonner springs are normally the heavy duty spring option for HQ-WB vans. It will make it ride hard though.

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Tonner springs are normally the heavy duty spring option for HQ-WB vans. It will make it ride hard though.
    what byron said plus..... it will make it sit up high in the arse.....unless you plan on having an orgy with plus size people .......DONT DO IT...:Flower:

Sandman Guru
    You'd be much better off using the standard springs and add airbags for tow levelling

Quote Originally Posted by ozbox View Post
    what byron said plus..... it will make it sit up high in the arse.....unless you plan on having an orgy with plus size people .......DONT DO IT...:Flower:
    hmmm sounds interesting.. how many plus size people could you fit in a van? lol

Banned
    I run them in the back of my WB ute. They do make it ride a bit harder but as to ride height I did not do a ride height measurement before and after. However I dont notice it is too high. However it was way too low with the crap stock springs! What were they for, it wasnt handling and they didnt carry a load thats for sure.
    It makes it sit flatter in the corners which is what I was after.
    After playing with dirt bike suspension for years I can say for sure that two different springs the same length will not perform the same. And as you cant slip down to Eibach and buy real springs you are limited to what you can achieve with leaf springs.
    If you just want to lift it in the rear and dont want any handling improvement as well just get the stock springs re-set.

My ute back in the 80's had air shockers and 1 inch thick conveyor belt (from North West WA) in the back, ride and handling was pretty good, I am no expert driver though.

Sandman Guru
    I found it in the HZ features manual.

Ute or van was available with options F72, XW5 or FE7 which all got you cab-chassis rear springs.

F72 was called "Gross Load Equipment" or "Gross Load Package". Not sure what this means exactly, I thought it may mean something like a slide on camper but it also appears to be available on sedans, wagons and statesmans (except you got heavier rear coils on these). Possibly it still means any vehicle application where a permanent gross load was to be fitted?

XW5 was the "Outback Equipment Package" another special vehicle package like BO6, XU3, XX7, XU4, B47 or XY7. This package included F72 amongst other bits like mud flaps and heavy duty aircleaner (this was the only instance of factory fitted mudflaps).

FE7 was "front and rear heavy duty suspension". In addition to the tonner leafs this got you V8 tonner front springs as well.

HX looks similar except all V8 commercials got the same front springs. Not sure about HQ and HJ as yet. WB should be the same as HZ.

my yellow hz had 6 leaf springs plus a helper spring with about a 40mm lowering block i find this rides ok and sits about the right height at the rear there are plenty of pictures of this van on the forum I will find a picture and edit latter RB.sence this picture was taken I also lifted the front by about 30mm because I could see the spoiler was not going to last
    Last edited by jennie285; 27-04-2011 at 07:02 PM.
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Byron, I'd say F72 was more a towing package.... caravans, horse floats etc... Caravaning holidays were becoming more popular and affordable for the average family during the 70's.
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Thread Information