Thread: How to repair your seat plastics

How to repair your seat plastics

Ok, we removed our seat hinges and plastics in the last thread so now it is time to repair them.

I give my plastics a good clean and then polish them up with Novus plastic polish as it gives them that shiney new look. This hinge is in pretty good nik so I have just cleaned the dust from it, if they are really dirty and rusty wash them down with degreaser and hit them with a wire brush, I also like to give them a coat of cold Gal paint to stop them rusting again.

If the mounting lugs aren't broken off like one of mine you can drill a hole in the middle of the plug and use a tek screw to mount the plastics back on the hinge. You have to be careful to drill the correct size hole for the screw... you want the thread to just bite into the hole, if it is too tight you will snap the mounts off.

As I have a broken lug I have welded plastic to it to extend it far enough to protrude through the hinge hole.

The lug extension I can now just heat up and squash down to hold the hinge plastic to the hinge. I weld over the other lugs so they are locked in place.

If you have a broken lug like I do and want to weld the lugs to the hinge as I have done but don't have a plastic welder you can use Acetone.... it is messy but good results can be acheived. You will need some scrap ABS plastic you can shred up, put the shredded plastic in a glass jar and slowly mix in small amounts of Acetone until it becomes a paste... use this paste to build up your broken lugs or to attach the plastics to the hinge.

Here I have welded the lugs to the hinge and sanded the flat. leave enough of a lip that they hold the plastic in place but won't puncture your new vinyl seat covers.

There you have it...... plastics re-attached to the hinges as they should be so they don't flop around on the hinge.

4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

top tech tips ....

Thread Information