Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed on damaged ute repair

Advice needed on damaged ute repair

Hey all,
    I am thinking of getting this and repairing it. What do you guys think about the chassis? Do you think it could be bent? Everything else is easy but if the chassis is toast its not worth it to me.
    Thanks.

it looks like the chassis is still ok. damage is fairly high and central. is the roof buckled at any point? and can u push it over wet ground to guage if wheels all line up?
    1973 HQ with HZ front. Currently waiting for its resto.
    308 for sale too

Sandman Guru
    It may be OK, but if it is cracked they can still bend easily. I can send you a scan of all the rail dimensions to check, but you'll have to pull it apart to check it. Looks nice a nice ute, why not buy it and change the rails? You'll have to pull the whole front off anyway and the engine has probably broken its mounts anyway. If you can get access to a 2 pole hoist you could fully refurb a replacement chassis and slide it under that shell in a few hours on a hoist.

Banned
    hmmm, might be more than a few people watching that ute I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    hmmm, might be more than a few people watching that ute I would say.
    Yep! I think I have a realistic $ in mind but you never know. I have seen some stupid prices thrown around then some stuff goes for peanuts?

Its got thoses horrid 12 slot wheels so its worth $1k less

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTees View Post
    Yep! I think I have a realistic $ in mind but you never know. I have seen some stupid prices thrown around then some stuff goes for peanuts?

Its got thoses horrid 12 slot wheels so its worth $1k less
    I am interested, but will no doubt go for more than my meagre budget will allow.

My brother hit a tree in his wb. The damage was more or less exactly the same. No chassis damage, repaired the rad support and a new grill/bonnet/nose cone and it was good. The rad is damaged in that HZ so is slightly worse.
    We were about 200k's from home, so we pulled the bonnet and bullbar off and put them in the back and drove it home. The chick in the servo in Mudgee gave us a very strange look when we pulled up! Was kind of cool being able to see the old 253 doing its thing as we drove along.

Looking at it Id hazard a guess that if there is any damage to the rails it would prbably be to the front of them, possibly k frame warping. All in all it doesnt look too bad, new rad & support and front clip really, if not copuld be good for spares, doors dash etc...sell them 12 slots to the scrappies but!

front clip and blue slip.no way those rails are damaged..

I spoke to the owner this arvo. He is a tow truck operator that bought it from a young bloke who crashed it. He seems to think it was worth $7000 before the damage.:errf: 202, column auto, puke wheels, power steer, aftermarket AC and a Home made wooden console.
    Says the ends of the rails are rolled in with the bumper brackets. He has most of the parts except grill, fan and maybe a few odds and ends.
    Realistically, I think the damage is worth about $2000 after parts. More in the off chance the chassis needs replacing. The ute would have been worth $3k'ish, so if it goes over $1000 it is getting stupid. He says he wont take $1000 and thats what I was thinking so I'm not going to bother.
    Heres the ebay link if anyone is keen.....
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/damaged-h...#ht_500wt_1156

Well there's no reserve on the Auction so you might as well bid. There'll be limited interest once it gets up around a grand considering it's a fair way from the major cities.

I'd be keen myself but I just spent my money on a tonner. Shame cause I've got a white HZ wagon which has pretty much every part that needs in the right colour ready to bolt on.

Thread Information