Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let the rebuild begin

hz van

Well looks like your on your way dave good to see the young ones getting into it you have taught them well i will be keeping an eye on this one if they do a good job i know of another hz sandman waiting for some tlc
    cheers gene.

[Quote]My wife really likes the coffin type roof rack can,t say I don't,t mind it it period correct and I already have a good one for it . But me being a bit of a purist I think it should be left off what do you guys think?[Quote]

If you don't mind and your and to use your words "the wife really likes the coffin type rack " then I think you have answered your own question.family ownership (especially the wife)and involvement will most definitely help down the track when the future budget start to blow out. Personally although I like the look of them I didn't want to put them on my van but if it was a station wagon I wouldn't hesitate,

good see the kids involved and like how they put all the bolts and screws into cardboard and tagged them, good idea....
    Last edited by jennie285; 01-09-2011 at 08:26 AM.

Banned
    You can do the whole surfboard on the roof thing with the racks, but rust issues in the future may be a concern. They look better than coffin rails on a ute I suppose.

P Plater
    I had them on my van 20 years ago as they were on it when I purchased it. It used to leak water and the headlining got damaged because of the water leak. So my opinion is that they look cleaner without them. There is always a potential for rust to develop also.

When I resprayed my van they came off.

However as they are already there when you bought the van, its not as if your drilling any new holes, plus it will be less work for the panel beater, thus reducing costs.

There you go, a bet each way.

Geoff

Rust won't be an issue if they're installed right. I've had my van for 16 years and the racks were on it when I got it. There's no water staining on the headlining and when I pulled a few pieces off last month there's no rust around any of the holes.

Full rear bar, roof racks, extended grille and bubble windows...I say roll with it! Add in some shagpile and park it up next to agro at the next show........
    Last edited by Rico; 01-09-2011 at 09:38 AM. Reason: dodgey spelin again

[MENTION=222]1BadVan[/MENTION]
    well, how cool is it to have the family involved.
    my 2 young'ins are 6 and 3 and keen as mustard, hopefully they are still keen when they are your kids ages

as for roof racks , lose them , you wanted an opinion/advice/interest in peoples opinion and thats mine :twisted:

clean lines on the roof for Me , doesn't mean i dont like other peoples choice but i use some old trader type load rail roof racks that bolt on and off should i need even more length.

Cheers Damo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacvan View Post
    [MENTION=222]1BadVan[/MENTION]
    well, how cool is it to have the family involved.
    my 2 young'ins are 6 and 3 and keen as mustard, hopefully they are still keen when they are your kids ages

as for roof racks , lose them , you wanted an opinion/advice/interest in peoples opinion and thats mine :twisted:

clean lines on the roof for Me , doesn't mean i dont like other peoples choice but i use some old trader type load rail roof racks that bolt on and off should i need even more length.

Cheers Damo
    .....Bolt on for extra length.......

Im chasing a pair of "scoo bar" type racks for my van....somewhere to stick me surfboard ol skool style...

[MENTION=579]Rico[/MENTION]

hahah PG13 it , i didn't even notice i wrote it like that haha
    no point changing it now ..
    i meant anything longer the interior of van i use the racks ,,

and what are "scoo bars", please

Old school roof racks, the round pipe ones with the rubber/plastic caps over the ends......

Thread Information