Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Courtesy lights as part of Sandman ID?

My understanding Is that the HZ sandman was the only one to get the footwell lights. My HZ XX7 acacia ute has them too.

ive got 2 x HX and neither have them
    BQZ

My hz has them to

Sandman Guru
    Sorry guys, I was talking about the courtesy light switches in the door jams, not the footwell illumination. HX doesn't have the footwell lamps. HZ definitely does, I have the program change request signed off for it. They were added because the HZ Sandman got the HZ GTS nose hence got the GTS wiring harness and lamps came with it as part of the harness. It was approved for production on 4/7/77. It is documented in other places as well.

Ah ok, no worries. Thanks Byron.

Sandman Guru
    The reason listed for including them was simply because the Sandman used the 8WQ main wiring harness.

Quote: "the required 8WQ main wiring harness incorporates all the footwell illumination lamp leads and bulbholders"

Reason for change: "prevent proliferation of main wiring harness". In other words they didn't want a unique Sandman harness.

Effective point is SOP. Cost was $0.36c per Sandman. It looks like it had Engineering Approval early June and lead time quoted is 4 weeks, confirmation is 4/7/77 so i'd say the change probably even made it into July HZ Sandmans. My HZ BO6 Overlander tonner had them, it must have used a GTS harness too due to the quad light nose.

If there are HZ Sandman's out there without them they are possible post the end of GTS? Or some other reason lost to time.

Cruiser
    My 10/77 HZ B06 One-Tonner has the footwell lights also. Other items included in that harness are the relay socket etc. for an electric aerial & the lighting for the ashtray & cig lighter.

Dr Terry

Based on Byron's comment above, I reckon my 11/77 Sandman ute (Adelaide built) most likely had the footwell lights removed at some stage, as I bought it minus most of the interior apart from steering, dash and glovebox (original HZ XX7 10cwt sticker on lid). I don't think it's a reshell as the original atlantis blue paint is evident on the inside of the quarter panels with the inspection covers off and the tags match the chassis as well as the paint. Looks like the best bet to find some footwell lights will be a premier or statesman that someone is wrecking? Anyone have any footwell lights/harnesses they want to sell?

There are Sandy's out there without them, my ute would have been just one. Kind of made it a bit more unique really, not having the footwell light's fitted. Fit's in with it having been an uncommon paint & trim combination.
    I wonder in which part of Australia it became landfill? ha,ha.

Cheers.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    The reason listed for including them was simply because the Sandman used the 8WQ main wiring harness.

Quote: "the required 8WQ main wiring harness incorporates all the footwell illumination lamp leads and bulbholders"

Reason for change: "prevent proliferation of main wiring harness". In other words they didn't want a unique Sandman harness.

My HZ BO6 Overlander tonner had them, it must have used a GTS harness too due to the quad light nose.
    Premier has footwell lighting.... Isn't BO6 Premier trim and quad lights so would have a Premier harness?
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Thread Information