Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: what do you do for a living?

I'm part time stay-at-home dad, part time jack-of-all-trades and fulltime collector of stuff.
    The missus pays most of the bills with a highly paid government management job.

In the past have been a Service Manager at a motorcycle dealership, trades assistant in a panel shop and a Rental Car detailer/ supervisor.
    Last edited by playwme; 03-09-2011 at 07:23 PM.

worked as Agronomist (agricultural scientist) for over a decade recommending fertilisers , chemicals and varieties to farmers for Elders / Wesfarmers etc). Was a great job for finding old holdens.

But Agriculture can't compete with mining for $$

now work as a FIFO Mining environmental scientist North of Kalgoorlie.

enjoy being an unlicenced dodgy backyard wrecker on the side
    "All correspondence must bear these numbers"

Banned
    I went to Orange Ag after I left school. Nearly finished and then went home to the farm. I did heaps of rousabouting and wool classing as well. Then went overseas and worked as drill helper in the oil fields in Canada. As a picker for Warner Bros in London for 3 days, then back to farm hand in the UK for 18 months.
    Back to the farm, then took over managing it for the last 7 years.
    I am currently chasing a mining job as well. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Love this thread, its very interesting to see what everyone does for a living.

Rodney and Jennie

I left school in year 10 (age 16) and did a day secretarial course, at Forbes TAFE which has turned out to be very useful as typing is what we all do every night on this forum, and I can do it very quickly...lol...

I worked part time for various business's as a secretary, one job was lining up every morning to get a casual job at the abattoirs, (great money for half a days work) packed brains, tongues and other revolting parts of animals...in the offal room
    Got promoted to the office of the abattoir (Norwest Beef) and looked after all the payments of the stock they purchased from various stock and station agents throughout NSW.
    When the Abattoir closed in 1983 I moved to Parkes and worked at a Farm and Fertilizer shop, called Aftrade, Australian Fertilizers owned the franchise loved that job, met loads of nice farmers....when it closed in 1986 I worked part time for the local paper, and cleaned a pub, and wrapped papers and delivered them...riding my bike to save fuel costs....then had kids, and didn't work as wages didn't cover babysitting,(wanted to care for them myself anyhow) although did some part time work at a physio clinic and took baby with me to work...then minded some children after school to help pay the bills

Rodney did HSC then worked for Vanreid transportable homes as supervisor, and was on tools at times. He did carpentry and joinery, and clerk of works, building inspection course, and scaffolding tickets etc. He worked for people on weekends to get extra money as he had bought a house....we would both go away and do building works for people during holidays etc.
    Rodney started his own business as a builder, was on tools for 15 years, then branched into scaffolding in the mine, does building consultancy work, so I type all pre purchase building inspections...manage finances, and help Rodney with all his emails, and quotes etc. we employ 4 men and have a partner...
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    I went to Orange Ag after I left school. Nearly finished and then went home to the farm. I did heaps of rousabouting and wool classing as well. Then went overseas and worked as drill helper in the oil fields in Canada. As a picker for Warner Bros in London for 3 days, then back to farm hand in the UK for 18 months.
    Back to the farm, then took over managing it for the last 7 years.
    I am currently chasing a mining job as well. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Love this thread, its very interesting to see what everyone does for a living.
    PM Me. you have drilling experience. walk up start. Agriculture is finished unfortunately. Alot of farmers are miners now, and take annual leave to put crop in and at harvest time
    Last edited by adam perth; 03-09-2011 at 07:34 PM.
    "All correspondence must bear these numbers"

property manager for last two years. Former stationhand, truck driver, traffic controller, factoryhand, ski technician, chain fitter,labourer, groundsman, janitor,caravan park manager, stockman at saleyards, trades assistant and car detailer.

Ceramic tiler by trade but do nearly everything involved with house renovations
    no i cant tile your bathroom to busy sorry

Talk about varied and interesting work histories. I got the idea after going to a Rotary Club meeting all of the members were wearing name badges and underneath it had what they are doing are had done as a job. It made it really easy to strike up a conversation. I enjoy my job most days (students can be a bit challenging at times but for the most of it they are pretty good). The best thing about my job is I am still in the workshop sometimes classroom with the kids. I have also learnt so much by becoming a techa eg wood, metal lathe work, all types of welding plumbing tig etc, carpentry, some days I even teach ceramic tiling (I hope I am getting it right Gene). I also get to teach tek drawing, freehand sketching and CAD/CAM packages. I have often thought about trying to cash in on the current mining boom. But I left my family a few years ago to start my teaching career in Southern Cross (4hrs drive from home) I missed my family too much and and they missed me too much so I ended up driving home each weekend.The ongoing joke in town was that I had left wheel ruts in the road back to Perth. My family ended shifting up there and we were a lot happier. The silly thing was I became a teacher to spend more time with my family. That was ten years ago I am pretty lucky now as I only work 20 mins from home.

Cheers Dave

P Plater
    my first career choice was as an apprentice mechanic in a busy inner city workshop. stayed there for ten years gaining lots of good experience. worked here n there in dealerships as a battery mechanic(like a battery chook) and in a brain dead tyres and rego servo as well . after 23 years, and sort of over it with service managers, I hung up the tools and the wife and I tried our hand with a leading edge CD&DVD shop in the town we live in. then along came BIGW(evil empire) and that was the end of it. Now I help the missus with her photography (www.pixelphotography.com.au) and the latest venture has been an online magazine (www.thehighlandsway.com) to see where that takes us. otherwise, I like to fiddle with old cars n bikes in my spare time, if I'm not driving or riding them.

Sworn/Licensed Property Valuer

when i was a wee grommet i did things like

Surfboard repairs
    Gardening
    Plasters' labourer
    Small business operator
    Retail sales

Tinker with the odd Commodore Ute on the side too :shifty:
    BQZ

Thread Information