Thread: Blue motor and Red Motors

Cruiser

Blue motor and Red Motors

Have a running blue 308 motor in my HZ van (dual fuel) which I am changing over to a red 308 (prob hq on petrol only) can I use the fuel pump, dizzy off the blue motor onto the red motor I also presume the extractors should also bolt up the same? and powersteering alternator etc?

Sandman Guru
    Yes, all will fit. Only bit that might not work is the auto choke on the Quadrajet depending upon what red motor it is. Fan spacer may be different too, but easy fixed.

Cruiser
    If I use a blue or black motor than I already have in my possession instead of a red motor for my HZ the the van have to run the emission controls etc for the year that motor came out with or is it pretty much the same as if a had a date correct red motor, I do have an old red motor 11QT Statesman? that needs rebuilding or I have the choice of keeping the blue which is currently in it or a black 308 I have in a HX ute both have m21's bolted up them where as the red motor would need an adaptor or to be redrilled for M21.

Hi as far as I can remember N.S.W RTA lets you run any engine red blue or black but it must have pollution for the year of the car unless its on gas, check with the RTA in your state, they will have all the answers you need

Leadfoot
    In NSW the rules are that you can't put a motor in that's older than the car and if the motor is newer than the car it has to run the emission controls of that newer motor.
    Black WB bodied HZ panelvan with a 400 chev called Frankie :nerviness:

Aquarious HX windowless Kingswood project.

Sandman Guru
    ^^Correct, however normally you'll get away with it. Note that a manual blue or black 308 has bugger all emissions gear on it anway. Only spark advance stuff plus the right carb and aircleaner, no more than HZ really. Manuals have no EGR valve.

Thread Information