Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: matching tag to chassis explained with pictures

the go with that one gadz is like most people they could not find the original chassis number under all the paint so it got a qld police number...

That's what I figured Oz ! But I bet I get 20 questions from anyone who is interested in buying it!
    Looking forward to that!

Are you saying people employed to manage these numbers on the governments behalf aren't sufficiently trained to find numbers in the factory locations Greg? Surely not.
    When I originally bought my Sandman and got the rego switched from ACT to NSW the engine number showed up as stolen 20 years before. Dad spent a whole day hanging round the cop shop while they investigated and cleared it with the insurance company. Then when I went to transfer from Dad's name to mine a few years later I got the same thing. Took it to the cop shop, left it with them and when I came back they said "There's no engine number on that block. Here's a Police number you need to go and get stamped on it." It wasn't the original block for the car so didn't bother me. Turned out they'd been looking at the blank spot on the wrong side of the block. The old engine number was just under a bit of grease.

Banned
    What happens if a stolen car turns up years later but was paid out under insurance? Is it up to the insurance company if the car can be re-registered? Does the person who owned it get informed? Surely you cant just get police numbers and then sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by playwme View Post
    Are you saying people employed to manage these numbers on the governments behalf aren't sufficiently trained to find numbers in the factory locations Greg? Surely not.
    yep thats what im saying...there use to be manuals that they were supplied with that showed locations..wether they knew or know how to use them is questionable isnt it?

--- Updated ---

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    What happens if a stolen car turns up years later but was paid out under insurance? Is it up to the insurance company if the car can be re-registered? Does the person who owned it get informed? Surely you cant just get police numbers and then sell it.
    its owned by the insurance company so you either negotiate with them to buy it or they take it and put it to auction..the old owners wont be contacted unless they believe they may have something to do with insurance fraud..police numbers may or may not be issued depending on what they did to conceal its identity.

Banned
    so my blue WB could turn up one day and I may never know? That sux cause I would want it back.

Learner Driver
    to add to this i bought a hz tonner and drove 1500kms round trip for its matching numbers... now as i am modifying it and smoothing chassis i took car to dept transport so they could take a pic of the chassis no before i ground it out... (all ok) cab was rooted and asked what the plan was... told them im putting my hq on it.... now i need to hand the compliance plate in to be destoryed and be issued with new chassis number/id..... fkn pissed ... 1500kms to just cut it up as its now a " reconstructed vehicle" -
    your not allowed to officially change cabs as its a form of "ghosting" ffs....

my2cents

Banned
    Why would you grind the chassis number off anyway? Couldn't you have just covered it up after you got it registered?

Learner Driver
    smoothing chassis rails and my stamp is close to the weld... and when i weld the seem it will cover the number.... so need to get dpi to take pics and do report so when it come time to rego they dont get all suspect with re stamp... now its a reconstructed vehicle i get a new vin for it anyway...
    doing it all the right way..

Quote Originally Posted by Gaddy View Post
    Just as a side bar
    i owned car yards through the mid 90s and one time we got an RTA inspector drop in for a random check.
    He looked at the numbers on an RS2000 we had and didnt like the way there was a spot weld right in the middle of an 0
    It was perfectly in the middle and didnt disrupt the stamp at all but he said we would have to get police numbers WTF???I went nuts at this guy because it was in mint condition with original seats, wheel and nose and he made us stam XXX over the originals and put police numbers next to it

Thread Information