Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: matching tag to chassis explained with pictures

matching tag to chassis explained with pictures

the term matching tags to chassis is used because it will effect the value of any collectible vehicle by up to 50% and usually start great conversations about the authenticity of the vehicle...the pics here are from a sedan but all hq to wb models are the same..these pics show what you are looking for to have that matching numbers as far as tag and chassis..

also if the chassis number does not look like it has been stamped consistantly as in all over the place/not in a reasonable line or the chassis metal appears to be pushed down to excess then you should be questioning the matching numbers..holden stamp fonts are fairly unique and it is hard to reproduce a consistent stamping.
    here is a couple of prime stampings that are not correct..the first one is all over the place and is a wb chassis with the cut off nose..easy to pick..

this second one is also all over the place and you can also see the straight lines of the individual stamps above the letters and numbers..on this one the chassis is quite dented in also..

the explanations for these 2 chassis numbers looking like this could be as simple as a new chassis was purchased as a result of an accident when the car was quite new and the panelbeaters re stamped the chassis..even the hz/wb one..
    Last edited by Alien DNA; 01-06-2018 at 01:14 PM.

50% surly not oz!
    All the value is in the tags, not the re-birthed monster that you built out of 7 other cars... :fishing:
    Surly if a chassis is so badly damaged that it gets thrown away, the rest of the body would be stuffed. Re-tagging is cheating!

i said up to 50% mook...depends how good of a replica it is doesnt it...:knockout:

So how does this stamping look to you ?

Figure its been re stamped then if what you say is correct across the board.

Did it make any difference what plant they came from?

Last edited by Alien DNA; 01-06-2018 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ozbox View Post
    i said up to 50% mook...depends how good of a replica it is doesnt it...:knockout:
    I think that the WB Firewall, lack of side repeaters, master cylinder, chassis and non matching numbers will be a bit of a give away (if you don't look at the plates...) :LOL:
    Last edited by mook; 15-09-2011 at 11:52 PM.

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by high voltage View Post
    So how does this stamping look to you ?

Figure its been re stamped then if what you say is correct across the board.

Did it make any difference what plant they came from?

With stamping sometimes it does get hard to tell. These were stamped by a single air operated device that carried the stamps. Those witness marks above the stamps do happen, not sure how the droopy 0 could occur though. I have seen some ugly stamping though, on both engines and chassis.

i agree with byron re the ugly stamps...different plants did have different fonts and some stuff wore out..the first 0 that has been stmaped is in line but appears to be only half stamped..if it got to the end of the line and a human restamped it then that could be your answer..
    i owned a 70 pontiac transam a few years back..pontiacs have a matching vin number to block number..this vin number is stamped on the engine down low in tiny stamps.2 of the numbers were xd out and the correct stamped above..this was common for pontiac to do...
    someone needs to start taking pictures of all chassis numbers on hq to wb to look at fonts and stamping errors..we do know holden made mistakes.

maybe i should do that when i get a chance?

Quote Originally Posted by ozbox View Post
    i agree with byron re the ugly stamps...different plants did have different fonts and some stuff wore out..the first 0 that has been stmaped is in line but appears to be only half stamped..if it got to the end of the line and a human restamped it then that could be your answer..
    i owned a 70 pontiac transam a few years back..pontiacs have a matching vin number to block number..this vin number is stamped on the engine down low in tiny stamps.2 of the numbers were xd out and the correct stamped above..this was common for pontiac to do...
    someone needs to start taking pictures of all chassis numbers on hq to wb to look at fonts and stamping errors..we do know holden made mistakes.

maybe i should do that when i get a chance?
    Sounds like a great job for you Oz. I reckon youve become the official expert. (even though you did say you dont consider yourself one...) It would be interesting to know how much of a shit the RTA and vicroads etc give about messy chassis numbers like that. I mean its 30 year old technology and anything could have happened in the meantime as up to 10 years ago no one gave 2 hoots. Do they just go ' ah whatever' or do they go, 'hmm, thats a bit messy...' We need a vicroads insider..

Anyhoo though, yes a photographic record... We could call it Gregs Philately collection!

or Oz's stamp collection might be simpler.

Ill have to put mine up so i can get your opinion....
    Last edited by hainzy; 16-09-2011 at 10:25 AM.

Sandman Guru
    One that stands out like K9 testicles to me was a 307 out of a HK I once saw. When these engines (307, 327 and 350) were completed in the McKinnon or Tonnawanda engine plant in Canada or USA they were given a plant and completion date code, example K1013. When these engines were assigned to a Holden or Statesman or Chev or Pontiac at the GMH Vehicle Assembly Plant they got a GMH engine number stamped in front of the North American number. So you ended up with something like 30712390K1013, not aligned like this but in different font and misaligned. The particular engine in question had the North American bit stamped in the middle of the number pad, so there wasn't enough room for the Aussie bit. So it was stamped like 30712 K1013 390. Looked ugly as hell. I have a photo somewhere i'll post up when I find it.

So whats the go in this situation then guys.
    Empire has matching chassis to body tag, but also had a Qld Police number stamped near it!
    My blue slip guy only found the original one when he had a little scrape around, and used it as the VIN/Chassis no on the NSW Rego papers.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????:shifty::shifty:

Thread Information