Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WB Ute Fuel Tank Questions???

WB Ute Fuel Tank Questions???

The fuel tank in my WB has been sitting for roughly 12yrs, there would be some crap settled in the bottom of the tank.

The previous owner removed the rubber fuel line, and did not plug up the metal line. So now there is a little wasps nest in the end of it... I'm going to get rid of the wasps nest, and hopefully use the fuel tank.

I was thinking of running 2 plastic fuel filters, and then there is a filter just as the fuel goes into the carby. This is to prevent the crap getting through to the carby...

Now my questions are, Do you think that would be enough to protect the engine??? and just change the filters sooner than the service manual says... and is there any other way that you would recmmend to fix the problem (without the removal of the fuel tank)???

Also, any ideas on how to unlock a lockable fuel cap (without keys... and without breaking it..)???

Ohh, and I don't really want to remove the fuel tank... as that is a pretty big job...
    Cheers,
    Matt

My WB Ute Build:
    http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...te-Shed-Thread

My HZ Sandman Panelvan Replica:
    http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...nelvan-Replica

WHERE ARE YOU BHZ29069A!?!?!?

Lockable caps are cheap enough matye, Id drill the pg13er.

i just use old holden keys or any other key that will go in the lock to jiggle the lockable caps..i have not needed to drill one or butcher one off for 20 years..
    good luck with the tank and the filters if its been sitting that long..i would pull the tank and clean it..at worse run a few filters and see how much crap comes through..it wont hurt the motor but will not do the carb much good..
    pullin the tank isnt that major..hardest part is getting the hoses off...

Quote Originally Posted by ozbox View Post
    Nah, hardest part is getting the bastards back on.
    It's still not that hard a job, and would be worth doing. Crap can still get past a filter.

Quote Originally Posted by playwme View Post
    Nah, hardest part is getting the bastards back on.
    It's still not that hard a job, and would be worth doing. Crap can still get past a filter.
    hahaha..good on ya..i dont put them back in normally so i forgot about that...

My lockable fuel cap opens with pretty well any key, or so I found out.
    And my hubbie always says that it's better to clean a tank first time round (properly), than have to clean it and fix whatever else later.:errf:
    Good luck,
    Evie.
    79 HZ XX7 308 Windowless Van . Driving with a big grin. A few little finishing touches required

Banned
    I thought a fuel filter between the pump and carby was a no no. They are meant to be on the suction side of the pump.

Those little mud wasps are mongrels for filling every little hole with mud! I have had them fill carby vent hoses on my bikes and then spent hours trying to work out why they wont go grrrr.

If its a quadrajet there will be a filter in the inlet of the carb anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rico View Post
    Lockable caps are cheap enough matye, Id drill the pg13er.
    Yeah, I was thinking I mite learn how to pick a lock... lol ;p

If all else fails, there is a hammer and a screwdriver... then if that doesn't work, there is a drill...

--- Updated ---

Quote Originally Posted by ozbox View Post
    i just use old holden keys or any other key that will go in the lock to jiggle the lockable caps..i have not needed to drill one or butcher one off for 20 years..
    good luck with the tank and the filters if its been sitting that long..i would pull the tank and clean it..at worse run a few filters and see how much crap comes through..it wont hurt the motor but will not do the carb much good..
    Bugger... I didn't want to have to pull the tank out... but looks like I will have to...

and I have recoed the carb about 3months ago... so I probably should get the tank out.

--- Updated ---

Quote Originally Posted by HZ EVIE View Post
    My lockable fuel cap opens with pretty well any key, or so I found out.
    And my hubbie always says that it's better to clean a tank first time round (properly), than have to clean it and fix whatever else later.:errf:
    Good luck,
    Evie.
    Thanks mate, I'll try the key to the parts ute, and see if that works... Yeah, I'd much prefer to do it the right way now, than have to fix stuff later...

--- Updated ---

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    I thought a fuel filter between the pump and carby was a no no. They are meant to be on the suction side of the pump.

Those little mud wasps are mongrels for filling every little hole with mud! I have had them fill carby vent hoses on my bikes and then spent hours trying to work out why they wont go grrrr.

If its a quadrajet there will be a filter in the inlet of the carb anyway.
    Nah mate, I havn't put a filter between the carby and pump... there is a small metal strainer/filter as the fuel line goes into the carby...

They are a pain in the arse... There in the fuel line, (were) in the old brake lines... and anywhere they can get to....

Forgot to mention... The carby is a Varajet

--- Updated ---

Ok, from the replys. I think I'm going to pull the tank and clean it...

What would you recommend to clean it with???
    Cheers,
    Matt

My WB Ute Build:
    http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...te-Shed-Thread

My HZ Sandman Panelvan Replica:
    http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...nelvan-Replica

WHERE ARE YOU BHZ29069A!?!?!?

Banned
    Ah fair enough, you just see so many with filters put between the pump and carby.

--- Updated ---

if its not rusty, just wash it out with a bit of petrol. Maybe blow through the lines with an air compressor to make sure they are clean.

Pretty sure that Hubbie normally uses Mineral Turps or Metholated spirits and obviously let it sit to dry properly.
    Evie.
    79 HZ XX7 308 Windowless Van . Driving with a big grin. A few little finishing touches required

Thread Information