That's a good spotto Blocker.

I was on my way to fox creek to get in some mountain biking. Fun fact, when you wash out the front wheel of the bike in soft dirt and superman off the front, your face makes an excellent fall arrestor.
Here's a photo of my van at the park, because I like photos.

10684356_529703210497511_1760029866_n.jpg

Yesterday I tore this down. It was running fine when I got it, just leaking badly so it's just getting a gasket kit through it and I'm leaving the rotating assembly in.

10706772_1507604772817881_1071258673_n.jpg

Turns out it was blue under all the grease, I'm quite convinced it's a red motor that just got painted blue at some point it's life. All the bores look great and arn't lipped which is good seeing as it's already 60 thou.

10624474_277907219086285_904229309_n.jpg

During the week I'll finish cleaning it up ready for reassebly. Thank's for that HK, while it's not original my goal is to have a neat original looking engine bay at the end of the day.

Some things I found useful during the process so far.
Rattle your stuck bolts loose (sound advice from Mook after I snapped a bunch of manifold bolts)
I'm also going through with a tap to clean out the threads prior to reassebly, so it'll tourqe down properly.
After I went through with a scrapper and took all the old gaskets off my mate the toolmaker came around with a wetstone and leveled it all out nicely. He pointed out you want thinks smooth, but not too smooth.

Final words of wisdom for the day. If you do a 12km fun run then try and go mountain biking you're probably not going to have the balance you're used to. It's more than likey you're going wash out the front wheel in soft dirt and land on your face.