Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Carribean turquoise hz

Quote Originally Posted by hainzy View Post
    haha. We wreck! How are ya Frank? Haven't heard from you for a while! Hope things are good.
    im just fine and dandy...bring me that van, I have it juss perfect in no time

Hi all.

Ive gotten stuck into the EFI conversion over the last 2 months and made some pretty good progress so I just thought Id post a coupla of pics that might be of interest.

This is how she looks as of today. Everything is done except the wiring, fuel lines and some hosing. Also changing to halogen globes so theres one light to sort out still

Everyone's seen conversions so here's just a coupla things that people might find interesting.

By the way, I went with the supra box I had in there. Just changed the bellhousing, and got a clutch conversion from kingswood country so I can ditch the horrid rat trap push system and go to a nice smooth full cable pull system.

So heres some things I discovered.

Firstly, you can fit the charcoal canister under the guard, and I made up some brackets to run the lines through so it all fits in neatly. (Might be a tad high but I guess Ill find out when I put the bonnet back on..)

Next, I used the orig 308 P/steering bracket instead of the 304 one as it would have been too low.

On the other side; Id been told that you need to use the 308 alternator setup but you dont. There is plenty of clearance with the 304 setup, and besides, the 308 setup would be in the way of the cold air intake.

Also the cold air intake bolts nicely onto the orig battery tray. I sealed the original intake hole and made a new one and ran the pipe down the side of the radiator.

Next Myth. Id been told that you cant use your original radiator shroud. Which is true, but simply cutting the outer section back a bit means the engine covers wont foul.

And for the EFI tank... I got a mate who is a decent welder, (and doesnt value his life as highly), to cut a section into the top of the tank, and then weld the plates in that I bought from EFI hardware,

Something like this - https://www.efihardware.com/products...-Return-System

I got a VX MRA which wasnt really the right one but we made it work. Its a very neat conversion and the car looks very stock from below. The tank looked like this with the lines facing the centre of the car.

Once I got it in though, I was very pleased to find out that the fuel and return hoses foul on a support section of the floor!! #@!!#++!#... So I had to take it out and redirect the hoses to look like this. I post these pics only to hopefully save someone else the hassle. If anyone ever does it, this is the way to go and actually makes it easier to get in and it fits in nicely.

Its a snug fit between the top of the tank and the underside of the floor but its all good.

Anyway thats all for now. The rest of the conversion has been pretty standard so I wont bore you. What ive posted is the answers to the questions I was asking before I started. Hope it helps someone else.

Cheers.

Instead of making brackets for the battery, could you have used an original battery tray?
    BO6 = Rarer then a Sandman

Dude...love your work.....will be watching as it unfolds.....its on my to do list as there may be a HX 202 van coming into the fold soon....so this conversion is just what im after

Wow Hainzy it's looking good. Can't wait to see it

Really good work Hainzy, well done.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Quote Originally Posted by agr071 View Post
    Instead of making brackets for the battery, could you have used an original battery tray?
    Yep I actually did use an original battery tray. I didnt explain myself very well, but those brackets were to support the tray, not the battery directly. You could probably just attach the tray directly to the body, but it didnt really sit in the right spot. It had to go across towards the guard a bit too far I think. Its also very hard to bolt it to the rad support section on the 2 bolt side as the section is curved at the bottom. It also gave me room to pass the 3 breather lines through.

You could prob weld it on. Heres a pic of how it sits.

The only thing I need to work out now is what to do about the wiper washer bottle......

Very nice Hainzy. You could use a WB combined wiper washer/radiator overflow bottle that mounts on the front half of the inner guard if you don't mind the look of them. Nice petrol tank by the way

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuss View Post
    Very nice Hainzy. You could use a WB combined wiper washer/radiator overflow bottle that mounts on the front half of the inner guard if you don't mind the look of them. Nice petrol tank by the way
    Ha. Yes 'tis a fine tank t'be sure!

The WB tank might not be a bad idea, but I wouldnt be able to use the overflow section as the battery would be in the way. Just the washer section could work though, depending on where the relays end up. Do you have one?

You really are making the job easy for any of us that follow.
    Nice work.... It's going to look like it was born that way!
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Thread Information