Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My replica HQ Sandman panelvan

Sandman Driver
    Nice under bonnet gear

Sick, I love it!

Leadfoot

A launch with daylight under the front tyres is always a good sign
    11.6 is quite a stout time! what are you expecting from the new combo??? Or are you like me, and don't want to jinx yourself!!

PS: its good to see you fixed the inherent defects in the HJ design

Cheers Scotty.

Tuff as nails..... wait 'till you drive it! Blowers are FUN! (I must get MR BAD out of the shed for a run).
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Yep Rob. I love blown engines. This one is just getting built in my spare time for something to have some fun in. I've something a bit more serious that I want to get running again.

Quote Originally Posted by ABSINTH74HQ View Post

A launch with daylight under the front tyres is always a good sign
    11.6 is quite a stout time! what are you expecting from the new combo??? Or are you like me, and don't want to jinx yourself!!

PS: its good to see you fixed the inherent defects in the HJ design

Cheers Scotty.
    I guess I would'nt like to make prophisies on how quick it might go. The engine has plenty of potential, but apart from the weight that the car will be, I think the limiting factor will be the rear tyres.
    The biggest I can get under is 28 x 10.5". While it launched good before(best 60ft was 1.46, weighed 3800lbs) a blown engine makes different HP. Although it will probably come off the line OK, I'm not sure what it's going to do further down the track as it gets faster and stands on the tyres a bit, aslo blown engine still winding up hp.
    I've still got the chassis etc that the blown engine came out of. I thought about backhalving the van and putting the 4 link, tubs etc, but decided to keep it looking like a streeter(kinda lol) I've taken a fair bit of boost out for when it starts, then once I've run it and seen how it goes, I can crank some OD back in the blower.
    I guess it should run 10's easy enough and depending on how much boost I can put in, maybe into the 9's

Sandman Guru
    My mate has a HQ ute chassis with a full drag rear end in it. It originally had a tonner cab on it but he cut the guts out of a HK coupe and stuck it under the HK. Tyres touch the parcel shelf they are that big. It'd go straight under a van but it'd require huge tubs, like half 44 gallon drum size.

This is the car the engine came out of. (wiped this one out. Only crash in nearly 40 yrs of racing)
    I still have the chassis, 4link, coilovers, tubs etc.
    It wouldn't be hard to swap the back half into the panelvan & tub it. But I just wanted to keep the van kinda normal.
    Ute/van chassis's are pretty good to back half.

Sandman Guru
    At the very bottom of this link is the HK shell sitting over the HQ ute chassis

http://www.monaroparts.com/project.htm

It is hard to see but the tyres car's parcel shelf is basically supporting the weight of the shell at the rear on the tyres. It is still like this today except the engine is out and in my shed. Space between the tyres is only about 3 feet.

Is it ever going to get completed. I like those old monaro's.
    My friend has one for Outlaws

Thread Information