Thread: Is this a Sandman

Is this a Sandman

Just got an email from a guy who is looking at buying an HZ and wanted to confirm its legitimacy as a Sandman.

Model: HZ8W M 70 (Base model)
    Body No. 404500-A
    Trim: 1894-19V
    Paint: 567-15940 (Antelope Metallic)

Eng: L31
    Trans: M21
    Rr Axle: GV4
    2/78
    BHZ12010S
    GVW: 2200kg (XU3)
    Seating Cap: 2

VIN: 8M70THH944785Z

It's an XU3, but the question was raised about the trim code of 19V. Some web sources (and ours) that indicate that 19V is a non Sandman trim code. Any thoughts?

Just to throw a spanner in the works

Our vehicle has a 19V trim and as per the other 'Sandman Id' posting

Courtesy lights and wiring - no switches - maybe left out during a repaint.
    Headlining strip that has been used - ie cloth fragment on the strip.
    Metallic Paint - Jade Green
    GTS Dash etc
    Flutes in front guards.
    8WM70

So it is either a not a Sandman but looks somewhat like one or Sandmans did have 19V trim.

Seems you could spend a lifetime trying to work out the authenticity of the vehicle.

Luckily enough - we just enjoy our as it is.

wayne

19v on HX or HZ says no it is not a Sandman just an optioned up base model or modified over the years. He will need to check for other Sandman identifiers to see if the 19v is a mis-stamp for the trim code.

Does it have a full headlining and what colour?
    Does it have courtesy light switches for the doors?
    Does it have a console without the ashtray in the rear?
    Does it have chrome door scuff plates?
    Does it have chrome tail light surrounds?

Is the trim actually black or slate black? The console was black on Sandman's with the padded armrest being slate black, should be a noticeable difference between them. The door trim was slate black but the armrests were black so again should be noticeably different. Seats were slate black and hood lining was black. Dash crash-pad, glove-box lid etc. was black.

Early HZ paint availability chart indicates that metallic paint was optional on all commercial models so being metallic paint is of no help.

Whatever is found on it, 19v is a non Sandman trim so will always devalue the car as it won't be accepted as a genuine Sandman.

Wayne, what model is your car??? HJ or HX. 19v trim code on HQ and HJ can be Sandman. Full details of your car are needed to identify a Sandman.

Absinth

The car is a HJ - Mar 76. built in Adelaide. - 19V trim

Tyre placard - 9930173
    Chrome scuff plates
    Chrome tail light surrounds.

As stated previously it does not really matter to us whether it is a trus Sandman or not as we have no intention of showing it etc. Only out of curiosity is it worth pursing the origins of the car and to add to the database of info on panelvans/Sandmans.

There are a few pieces that make me think it is a Sandman and a few that make me think it is not.

The colour is a main thing that makes me it is - someone has gone to a lot of effort to get a car painted Jade Green - then they specifically ordered the car - you may also assume that they ordered the special version of that car. - In this case the Sandman.

Anyway - I'll put a few images up of the car in the near future - although there are a lot of things that are not legit about the car as it currently stands
    - decals
    - paint (almost British Racing Green currently)
    - door handles
    - mirrors
    -
    -
    There is a list - this will all be changed in the future - we plan on putting it back to true Sandman look- although the paint colour will change to either Papaya or Mint Julep.

cheers wayne

Ahh being an HJ with 19V is a good thing!

If it was an HX or HZ with 19V then that's no good!

Maybe yes / maybe no

Goes easy on us, that we want to repaint the car in 'not its original colour'.

Jade Green, just doesn't give me the 70's feel.

wayne

Personally I think if you have a base model with factory metallic paint then it is most probably a Sandman. It doesn't make sense that metallic paint was not available on base model HQ, was available on base model HJ, wasn't available on base model HX, was available on early base model HZ and then not available on late base model HZ.

Jade green is a nice colour and even better with 19V trim. Your Sandman will be worth more if painted in it's original factory colour. I would paint it Jade green and put the white Sandman decals on it..... very cool. However it is your car so do whatever makes you happy.

While this is a Jade Green HX it looks pretty 70's to me..... especially as the photo was taken in the late 70's...

Thanks for the images - both this and the interior.

Makes me want to go home and take the van out for a run.

I will put a few images up soon. - Just painted up my GTS rims and have yet to get an image of the van with the correct wheels.

btw - the wheels price total including purchase, sandblast, prime, paint, tyres etc cost around $1400 for 4. Thus the prices listed elsewhere on this forum for restoring a van are close to the mark. - but hey it's only money.

cheers wayne

Thread Information