Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VU Mambo Sandman van

VU Mambo Sandman van

Hi

The other week I won a VU mambo sandman van brochure off ebay, quite a cool looking van and the interior is very nice and stylish (well i think so).

I know it was a one off project for a car show, I would hate to think it ended up like the HZ Sandman Sea Witch that no one know what ever happen or its where abouts.

Just wondering if anyone out there knows where is this van now, does someone own it privately, is it hiding somewhere in GMH sheds or is at a museum (that would be nice).

I would like to think on my next travels, could make a point in checking it out in for the real deal.
    Don't Come Knocking If This Van's Rocking

A friend of took pics of it at Fishermans Bend at the Holden office i think it was......along with the SS-X, Mambo VU, and 3 or 4 other concept cars...its safe, rest assured. Theyre available to the public to check out at certain hours.

P Plater
    That's right, it was in the foyer area of Salmon St in November last year, along with a heap of other nice cars - Marilyn, an Elfin, the SS-X ute thing, EFIJY and a whole heap more.

The difficult part is finding out when they're open - some of the cars are on display in a shop type area (they sell all the usual merchandise like the dealers) but it has limited hours. The public can access this whenever the shop is open.

Other cars were outside the shop area, but inside the main building itself - visible through the glass. You couldn't get to them without signing in, and having a Holden employee to take you through there. I was ass-about when I was there last - the shop was closed, but I had a tour of inside (although it was only the Camaro, EFIJY, and a few new release models - some series 2 VEs and a Barina Spark).

Sandman Guru
    I think there were a few of them built. From what I have heard they built a "Sandman" ute and another which they put a canopy on to make it look like a van. Ben Stewart told me he drove both of them around the high performance centre track in Brisbane but never got a photo! I did hear that there may have been another that went to NZ, not sure if it was a ute or a ute with canopy.

I remember seeing that van @ the Melb Motor Show in Jeff's shed. Pretty darn nice piece of gear too! wish they made them for real again, although I dont believethat they will ever reach the "cult classic" status of the real Sandman!

Quote Originally Posted by Rico View Post
    I remember seeing that van @ the Melb Motor Show in Jeff's shed. Pretty darn nice piece of gear too! wish they made them for real again, although I dont believethat they will ever reach the "cult classic" status of the real Sandman!
    Cos modern life is all about mortgages, showing off your wankey bling wheels, political correctness, making more $$ than your neighbour.... etc etc... Boring showy crap. whereas the sandman was more than just a car to show off. It represented an era. Heading out for the whole weekend, no particular plans, carefree driving, bonfires with mates, shaggin chicks... All in a politically incorrect and fun world. It represents peoples common youth in a relaxed era. People dont have that so much now so the new Sandman could never come close to that. The original sandman was much more than just a car...

Cruiser
    Like everything from a past era. This country is fast losing it's identity. You'd probably have your modern Sandman impounded if you had sex in it on a beach near a bonfire!

you damn right there! [MENTION=600]Dago[/MENTION] [MENTION=134]hainzy[/MENTION]

You have nailed it right there hainzy & Dago.The 70's was a much more relaxed time, the thing's that we used to get up to then, we would not get away with now.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Hainzy you are spot on,I used to love it when the van club I was in would just go away on weekends and park our vans down by the beach tailgates down sitting on the back of them staying there enjoying ourselves and not a problem what so ever.You was around great company and friends and they were really good times but in todays world we have lost that.

TJ.

Thread Information