Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: re-pro/theft resistant centre caps

P Plater

re-pro/theft resistant centre caps

I have been trying to find a good set of original caps for my van, and have been hit by e-bay snipers more times than I care to remember for good sets. I decided to go out on a limb and buy a set of re-pro ones, and I must say I'm quite impressed. I don't know if everyone here has seen them before, but they are machined out of stainless steel billet, with a steel washer and high tensile bolt to retain them. they look nice, if you didn't know better you would think they were genuine, but they are heavy compared to the original pressed steel ones, and I would recommend using a thin O-ring around the shoulder to dampen viabration and help prevent loosening.I am quite happy with them, and thought it better that price than the obscene amounts I have seen the NOS ones going for. now if only I could find some decent dress rims......hhhmmmmmmm......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320802108066...ht_1077wt_1398

I wish I had seen them before, I bought the rarespares centre, trims and nuts kit.
    I take it you don't like the rarespares trims... I couldn't find anything else, they look ok.
    I have original centres but keep them locked away... too hard to get and too easy for someone to steal off you Sandman.

http://www.rarespares.net.au/rarespa...roduct=WT1004A

http://www.rarespares.net.au/rarespa...product=WT1004

The rare spares are the best non original ones to buy they dont look to bad and yes those centre caps are the go no one can just knock them off with a screwdriver

Sandman Guru
    Note guys the originals weren't press on, they were a die cast, with wierd lock in device. The ones you are talking about are the second generation clip on style. The Rares ones are great for most vehicles.

P Plater
    nah....these centre caps aren't a thing from rares......I think the bloke I bought mine off is makin them privately. If thats the case, he has done a bloody good job and if someone does try pryin them off, they won't scratch them easily. Solid stainless. Thanks for the pointer with dress rings too, the blokes at rares I spoke to knew nothing.(and that vagueness is what puts me off rares) Sometimes I've had better answers from the pimply headed sprogs at Stupid Sheep autos.

--- Updated ---

and one last thing....three out of four of the originals on my van have all silver decals. never seen them before(that I can remember). I'll hafta get back to ya with short, long or no tail on roary.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman44 View Post
    I have original centres but keep them locked away... too hard to get and too easy for someone to steal off you Sandman.
    We have the rare spares centre caps, they look original and can't be stolen we also have dress rims, not sure if they are rares, as we got them from Harrison's early rares in Brisbane...we didn't glue the lion on, and they are not loose either
    Last edited by jennie285; 19-12-2011 at 03:21 PM.
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

i brought the rare spares ones as was disapointed that i had to take them home and super glue the holden lion into the billet centre myself.
    no rubber backing like these other ones refered to either.
    is the lion on these ebay ones a pressed feature or a stick on job?
    "All correspondence must bear these numbers"

ive been running the billet ones for a couple of years now on the sinbox as a daily driver and they havent come loose so i dont see the need for a gasket as there was never one on the originals....i got them from rares and my decals had double sided tape..fitting the decal was simple..
    mackackie..if you want to know something about a rares product or want to buy a product just ring me.

Thanks for posting up the link as I would prefer the stainless ones over the others.

TJ.

P Plater
    thanks greg :o)

Thread Information