Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Database update

Sandman Guru

Database update

I did a count this morning.

Database has 859 vehicles in it. I think there is one sedan and 3 x 1-tonners as they have ID that fills gaps.

493 of these are Sandmans.

257 are not but are HQ-HZ utes or vans (3-4 off not utes or vans as above).

109 are ? ie possible Sandmans. Probably 50-60% of these are Sandmans. 68 of this 109 are September - October 1977 Dandenong vans that I have been counting off records that might be a Sandman ie V8 4spd or auto Holden vans. The others in this range that are 6cyl and/or Kingswoods amd/or 3spds are counted in the 257 NOT Sandmans. I have November and December Dandenong to go as HZ stopped there in December. There are a handful of tonners in December, rest of Dandenong HZ are vans.

Wow, your spreadsheet is growing. :-)

What makes a vehicle a possible? Are these the ones you havnt sighted or just number off plates you see on ebay?

Mauser
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Sandman Guru
    Possibles are unconfirmed. Examples:

HQ from Acacia Ridge but missing XX7, but having centre console bracket and floor shift hole or having metallic paint on a Belmont.
    HX-12/77 HZ ute with derated GVW but not one of the unique trim codes.
    Partial plates.
    2200kg (meaning XU3 if it is a Sandman) but otherwise hard to pick.
    Vehicles off the Service/Warranty records like the Dandenong HZ's i've been working on that are V8 and 4spd or auto.
    Plus many more other anomolies.

Great job HK1837 it must keep you busy.

i have a 9/77 Dandenong van, belmont, 308 m21 a/c power steering, full gts interior plus blackouts, down rated suspension, full roof lining,it pretty much had the lot

Sandman Guru
    You are doing well having a 9/77 Belmont!

ID off it would be very useful if you can, as Dandenong HZ vans are what I am currently concentrating on. It'll be a low chassis number too.

Quote Originally Posted by saddo33 View Post
    i have a 9/77 Dandenong van, belmont, 308 m21 a/c power steering, full gts interior plus blackouts, down rated suspension, full roof lining,it pretty much had the lot
    Hi mate welcome.

The name Belmont stopped with the HQ (God bless the HQ haha) and they started using boring old Holden as the name of the base commercial model on HJ's... If you make a list of all the information off the plates and get the chassis number off the front rail on the drivers side, and the engine number and PM them to Byron (HK1837) he will tell you if they possibly match for the vehicle (close on engine) and cross-match the details he has against the data in the register. He may ask you to look for some of the other identifying features that should only be present on a factory Sandman as an extension of that.

Glad to see you here.

Mauser
    Last edited by mauser; 14-02-2012 at 10:49 AM.
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Sandman Guru
    ^^As above. You don't need the chassis number off the rail, the one on the ADR plate is the important one. The one on the rail is only important to the current identity and value of the car, not to its original identity (which is what is historically important).

Mauser, HX was the last Belmont. HQ just had the last Belmont ute or van.

haha ok, I did say commercial later. :-)

What would be nice is to help people who ask to verify a wreck in a paddock that the plates match the chassis if, as we agree, the chassis not origional makes the thing less desirable. Possibly this also occurs with the engine as well. A person may not think to keep or spend more on a block than just replace it with another from ebay. True matching number vehicles are so rare that a few pointers may influence what people decide to do with the restoration to retain its origionallity. Although I knew the chassis mattered, on a restoration I wouldnt of hesitated to ditch the 308 and grab a non-60thou one without that being pointed out to me.

Blocker could make a form on here that people could download and fill-in with the information you require without having to tediously explain what you need over-and-over again. I realise you dont want the ADR info etc but others wouldnt. If it is simple to do maybe more people would submit thier vehicle details to you to make a more comprehesive register. We want those ute boys to pump some more info into the Sandman database..haha

Mauser
    Last edited by mauser; 14-02-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Sandman Guru
    I think utes are long gone. All rusted away. Evidence of this also being the case in the 90's when vans were being made into utes.

Thread Information