Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing diff to commy

Sandman Driver

Changing diff to commy

Hi

What is need to just fit a commy diff straight into hz wb...

Brackets, tailshaft, Brakes, tailshaft alignment ??

Cheers Jaft

Good thread Jaft.
    Yeah this one would be a great one for ozbox's workshop to do...
    I'm thinking of this conversion for the cheaper parts compared to Salisbury components. I already have parts for an LSD tonner diff and 3 sets of gears but i don't know if it is all usable and may be cheaper to do the borgwarner conversion..

ive did vn/vp, not a big job, most expensive part was the axles, cost $600pair, then got new disks, and pads, i had the get the disc machined, i think the centre needed just a wisker off, i might do another 2, spare for me/sell and one for HX76King but ill only be doing if bradie wants one or someone else puts there hand up for one, to make it worth while making a proper jig, last time i just welded it to the bench top, this time ill make it free standing
    Last edited by V6HQUTE; 14-02-2012 at 08:39 PM. Reason: cause i can

Sandman Guru
    There are mobs converting Borg Warner centres to fit HQ-WB Salisbury housings as well. I reckon this is a better idea as you get to keep old reliable rear drums and it all looks original.

Wait for Oz's reply as i've seen a good one done at his place.
    BO6 = Rarer then a Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by agr071 View Post
    Wait for Oz's reply as i've seen a good one done at his place.
    Where is thy OZ when you need him...

Sandman Driver
    Do you thing you would be able to cut the Brackets off the HQ WB Diff and weld them to the Commodore diff.. Grind the Commodore mounts off the diff..

Do u think the tailshaft would line up or would it be offset..

P Plater
    Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    There are mobs converting Borg Warner centres to fit HQ-WB Salisbury housings as well.
    Diff Technics in Kogorah NSW are one of the mobs who do this. http://www.difftechnics.com.au/
    You retain your original housing, tailshaft, brakes etc - all they do is update the centre to the LSD 4-pinion BW78 unit (aka M78).

The advantage is they use the stronger 4-pinion centre, which is the same diff that went all the way to VT1, so it had up to 220kw (in HSV 5.7L form) pushing through it comfortably enough to maintain a factory warranty period. I have a number of mates with early commodores who have had their old salisbury 5L diffs converted this way, and they're all happy.

Quote Originally Posted by jaft View Post
    Do u think the tailshaft would line up or would it be offset..
    Early Commodore salisburys do have an offset pinion & the 2 axles are the same length as each other.
    But these are the same centres that are available in HQ-WB, so theres no point even looking at them.

Later (VL onwards, and some '85 VK) Commodore Borg-Warner diffs, which are worth looking at, run 2 different length axles so the pinion ends up dead centre.

The Commodore borg-warners run a flat drive flange on the front, and require the matching yoke to be fitted to the end of your tailshaft (so the shaft will need shortening). If you do the internals conversion that Diff Technics offer, nothing externally needs to change, so your tailshaft remains the same.

Sandman Guru
    Just get an old banjo housing and cut the mounts off and get them welded on. You'll have to get the housing straightened afterwards though as they bend when welded. Tailshaft will be fine but will need modding to suit the flange of the BW diff which isn't real cheap. It may be better to ring this mob and price a BW centre conversion for your Salisbury housing. This will not need brake, handbrake, tailshaft, stud pattern or other such mods.

http://www.difftechnics.com.au/httpdocs/about_us.html

Not fast enough, Mick beat me!
    Last edited by HK1837; 15-02-2012 at 07:38 AM. Reason: PS

Sandman Driver
    So if you upgraded the centre to the commodore what would the axle handle in hp from the old salisbury...

If u decide to get the diff shorten to fit bigger wheels what way would be the best aswell...

Thread Information