Working in the mines is something you will either love or hate, some can do it and some can't. I was at Lihir gold mine in PNG working 6 weeks on and 2 weeks off FIFO. 12hr days 7 days a week for 6 weeks and I was bored shitless, I was management only and standing around for 12hrs supervising others working was the longest most monotonous days I have ever had to endure at work. I lasted the 6 weeks and didn't return.

Having said that, working the mines in Australia could be a lot better, you will actually work and won't be restricted to the mine area only although you won't feel like much of a nightlife after a full days work. Back to the donga for a shower, up to the bar for a few beers then off to the mess for dinner, in bed by 9:00 pm for the 4:00am wake up the next morning.

the pluses are:
You'll meet some interesting and diverse people
The food is normally excellent
The money is excellent

The minuses:
Long hours for 4 to 6 weeks straight
Away from family and friends for 4 to 6 weeks at a time
The 2 weeks off ain't that great because all your mates and wife/girlfriend are at work and if you have kids they are at school on week days.

My fly in was actually 42 days and they fly out was 14 days so in reality you only get 12 days. I would fly out on the Monday and fly back in on the 2nd Sunday so i would have only got 1 full weekend and a second Saturday which really sucked.

If you can handle it, it's a great way to earn some big bucks fairly quickly.