Thread: Gallery

Gallery

Might as well start a new thread so people can post pics of Sandmans.

I'm looking for a high resolution pic of an HX Sandman. Preferably in factory fit out e.g. Non fluted guards, black side mirrors etc.

I need this to correct the 'wrong' HX in the paint selector page on mySandman.com.au

Is that the original paint and decal combination???? All the Deauville blue Sandy's I have seen with original decals had the orange,blue,dark blue decals.

hey hx sandman - you might be pleased to know i still own the blue ute in the picture. drive it most days - gets me around in style when i feel like it. havent done a lot to her mostly keep her road worthy. Regarding the colour combination, i have read a few things on the net at different sites saying that the deauville blue and the orange/orange/yellow decals were an option but rarely taken. by the sounds of it holden would have opted for the other colours but if you wanted to order your own combination then so be it. I cant confirm this 100% - not for this particular sandman anyway. From work i have had done this ute has definitely been resprayed at some time in its life but it is also 100% apparant that its original colouring is correct and that whatever paint job it did get was a 'spray over' type and not fully cut back to nothing for the entire shell. For the record i recently purchased some decals for an intended respray and resto to be done sooner rather than later. I purchased the same combo as i think the orange on blue looks a lot better and more reflective of the 70's groove. Also for the record hx sandman (i do remember you name but figured i better not use it as its not in your title here) I have won two local awards for the ute in shows in her 'as is' condition. 2 x people's choice awards at two seperate country ute musters. They were small musters cause i now live in outback queensland but they were fun nonetheless. so many people out here love the ute and i have been offered a pretty dollar for her. Cant bring myself to part with her but. My 20 yr old son is itching to turn 25 so he can legally drive a V8 - but i think he will have trouble getting the key off me. A quick funny story for you HX Sandman - I had the ute in one of the above mentioned ute musters along side the other entrants - a collection of modern day redneck utes with all the bundy flags etc etc - as the scrutineers came round to each ute they asked the prospective owners a few questions. One judge was a pommy fella who didnt really look like he knew what he was doing (prob a guest judge but a nice bloke) and the other was a bogan looking sheila (prob called Raylene or Shazza!). Anyway the old bloke says in a thick accent "does it have a radio?" (after all the other ute owners had shown off their overly loud sound systems). I said no mate as i looked down at the old sandy - all polished up, no extras in terms of flags or flash props as the male judge put a cross on his sheet. Then the sheila judge says to me "can you kick her over mate" - I say no worries and I started her up to hear that beautiful deep growl that I dont reckon modern day cars can reproduce. Without a word of a lie - she started smiling - turned to the pommie judge and said - "that's why it doesnt need a radio dickhead!" Hehehehe i laughed my head off - got caught up in the moment and revved her like a up 16 year old kid waxing his dolphin on the vinegar stroke. anyway mate the old girl is going well and still with the owner who took her from you. thanks heaps for that and she is much loved.

gedday nick - yeah mate i still get a lot of enjoyment out of her - rego is a killer but hey i dont smoke so you gotta have some vice to spend your money on. i still have my eh ute too which is in really good nic but i will get her on the road this year. Im not real good on computers so i will try and put a photo onfor you - i think you wont really notice much difference. after i got her home from you it cost me about 6K to have rust cut out and other things to get her a queensland rego. It was a bit more than i thought but these older utes can be very expensive once you start looking really close - as you would know! I hope to do her up one day soon to her absolute orginal specs but i guess that is time and money. where i live now there is no one close to do any of the tradie work required so she will just have to wait. Still a very cool daily driver though. I am always scouring the net and papers for sandmans - probably cant afford another one with the eh as well but i like to keep an eye on it - there is a cracker on the Aussie Muscle Car website at the moment - a hz all original - asking price 49K!!! wow i hope he gets it but its certainly out of my league. I would love a van to go with the ute but again its starting to get silly re price i think. YOu probably would have seen it a couple of year s ago - there was a green hz van for sale out of melbourne on ebay. it looked straight but very tired and rusty. I rang the owner - an old butcher from melbourne - he had given up on the tools and it was time for her to be sold - in very very original condition - he bought it brand new. it was that nice green colour the hzs came in but the paint had stacks of surface rust. anway it went for under 8K - still kicking myself. somebody got a great investment. other than that they are always too modified or clapped out for my budget and skills. Where i live now there is an original HJ van sitting in a yard. jamaica lime - all faded but still with the black sandman decals. a bit of front end damage but thats all. Just looling really old and faded like a paddock car - long grass all around it. no salt or moisture in the air out here so really she is very saveable. owner wont part with it but its one of those ones that the owner also wont ever do anything with it if you know what i mean - almost cry every time i see it. anyway thats how it goes. i will try and work out how to put a photo on for you. cheers, mck

Thread Information