Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Factory aircon out of a HZ 6 Cylinder onto a HZ V8 ??

Quote Originally Posted by hxbunny View Post
    The new avatar looks like you're making some progress too.

Cheers Mark
    Thanks Mark,
    Yeah just waiting for some good weather (??) to get the clear coat on. Seats done, door skins and arm wrests bought, Chrome all re-done and ready to put on. Need to order carpet and underlay (think I may have that sussed now though) and just trying to find the right donor car for air con and dash controls. It's been 12 months off the road now, just can't wait to drive around again!!!
    Evie

--- Updated ---

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    EFI bracket is no good as it puts the compressor where your steerig box is.

Just get a 253/308 V8 bracket and pulley off a HQ-HZ.

Note, if you can get the WHOLE car (6cyl HZ), or get the whole firewall cut with all A/C on it. Get the LHS inner guard too. That way you can leave it all intact and swap it over a bit at a time. You need to drill 6 x holes in the body: 1 x 32mm for the harness, 3 x overlapping 16mm for the heater hoses (there are guides for these on a non-A/C car) and 2 x small screw holes for the A/C air supply and blanking plate under the dash. There is also holes needed in the radiator support for the condensor hoses (overlapping holes, guides are here too to show you where to drill).
    As always Byron, your a wealth of info and a lot of us uneducated learners would be lost without your help. Thanks.
    I might try to get a V8 donor, so it's all a bit more straight forward.
    79 HZ XX7 308 Windowless Van . Driving with a big grin. A few little finishing touches required

Sandman Guru
    if the 6cyl is good grab it, and just get a V8 bracket. You need the cabin harness too and all the underdash bits as well.

hey Evie dont want to rain you out even more but after pulling a/c out of a HZ 202 wagon i would NEVER bother trying to fit one up. for me, ill be winding the windows down. works a treat - climate control (window 1/3, 2/3 or all the way down), wont run out of gas (ive got big guns - ppfft) and wont drain power or use more fuel.

your van is looking super sweet. cant wait to see it finished!
    BQZ

evie, our a/c came from a 202 and we got v8 brackets and engine mount i'm sure everything else fitted straight in. We didn't mess around with the old pump we purchased a brand new one the same as the original delco pump and i had everything tested before we put it in, If you get it from a statesman i think your internal switch will be incorrect for your sandman dash, so stick with the 202 unit and soures the v8 a/c and altenator brackets.

I beleive it is worth fitting in the long run you will be disappointed if you don't install the ac

Cheers Rodney

PS it is a good idea if you can removed the a/c and vents etc. so you know how to put them back in behind the dash, wise words of wisdom from Greg (Ozbox) at Classic Ozwreck...
    Last edited by jennie285; 14-03-2012 at 06:09 PM.
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post
    hey Evie dont want to rain you out even more but after pulling a/c out of a HZ 202 wagon i would NEVER bother trying to fit one up. for me, ill be winding the windows down. works a treat - climate control (window 1/3, 2/3 or all the way down), wont run out of gas (ive got big guns - ppfft) and wont drain power or use more fuel.

your van is looking super sweet. cant wait to see it finished!

Thanks Vombil, I can't wait either!!!!!
    I was using the window graduation method of climate control and luckily the sun roof assists air circulation, but I must admit after driving in 30-40oC temps, it just wasn't quite efficient enough. :knockout: Besides hubby won't get into the car until it's airconditioned (Don't know if that's such a bad thing??? - did I say that out loud????:nevreness

Thanks for all the help everyone. Looks like I missed out on the 6cyl. 202. So I guess my airconditioning transplant is now on hold till another appropriate car comes up. I'll keep an eye out and who know what might come up (affording it is another thing!!??).
    So I'll pick everyones brains whenever the next one arrives
    Thanks again,
    Evie
    79 HZ XX7 308 Windowless Van . Driving with a big grin. A few little finishing touches required

It's a rockin'
    another way to do it is buy a vintage air unit they fit under the dash where the old heater bit is out of sight and just keep the old heater cover under the bonnet so it still looks factory and then its all new . they have outlets so you just use ducting and run it up to your factory vents i am doing one in my HQ coupe so i will put up some photos when i can .as for cost the unit is about $800 and a brand new compressor is about $500 and there are other bits you will need but you should get away with it for under $2000 i know it sounds a lot but it will be all brand new and you wont have that big ugly factory unit under the bonnet . i know VK V8 commodores had their air cond compressor on the right side but not sure it will fit a HZ i bought a bracket off a HJ(not factory) and it has the compressor under the alternator and looks neat hope this helps

Thanks for that, I'll wait to see your photo's. In the mean time I'm keeping my eyes open for a good donor car that may become another project at some stage.

Banned
    Fit it for sure. I fitted it to my WB ute years ago. Makes driving it so much more enjoyable. So much so that now the compressor has packed it in I won't drive it lol. Mine is a mixture of WB statesman and HZ bits. It also uses the smaller Sanden compressor and fitting kit which is way neater than the massive Delco compressor. Get a complete system out of a car, will make it easier if you havnt done it before. Plus you get groovy vacuum controls for your vents and heater so you feel so much more modern than all the poor standard cable operated Holden owners lol.

this has to go on the record.... my mate got a quote the other day to have integrated A/C installed in his HX sedan

wait for it....

keep waiting....

$3,500!!!!! WTF

and he was seriously considering doing it until i talked him around. thank pg13
    BQZ

Thread Information