Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Factory aircon out of a HZ 6 Cylinder onto a HZ V8 ??

Factory aircon out of a HZ 6 Cylinder onto a HZ V8 ??

Will the Factory aircon off a 6 Cylinder HZ motor be simular, or able to be used on a HZ 308??
    Sounds to be mounted differently. A mate may know of a V6 ute with one, but it sounds to be mounted lower than the pictures I've looked at on here on the V8's.
    Interested to know before I spend some money please.
    79 HZ XX7 308 Windowless Van . Driving with a big grin. A few little finishing touches required

Cruiser
    I think everything would be the same except mounting brackets and pulleys. Duct, pipework, compressor, condenser, evaporator etc should all be the same whatever the motor is.

Cheers Mark

V6 or straight 6? If it's been converted to Commodore V6 they usually have the air con compressor mounted down really low on the passenger side. If you get the right brackets for the v8 you should be able to source a compressor from various models of cars.

Thanks, guys.
    It's a straight 6 202 complete still in the car, red motor. Do I still need to get a compressor, or will the one in the HZ (6) be o.k. for my HZ (8) ?? I can probably get a mate to manufacture a bracket, or try and source one second hand.
    Ta,
    Evie
    79 HZ XX7 308 Windowless Van . Driving with a big grin. A few little finishing touches required

The oringinal deco compressor fits both 6and, v8 .with the original compressor the bracket around and over the alternator are quite complicated there is also a rear stay to back of the compressor that goes down to the engine mount .this engine mount is different than the standard mount it has an angle bracket with a hole in it for this stay

Thanks Rod.
    Might need to grab a photo as reference (re bracket etc) when somebody/anybody has time and aren't getting rained out.

Quote Originally Posted by playwme View Post
    V6 or straight 6? If it's been converted to Commodore V6 they usually have the air con compressor mounted down really low on the passenger side. If you get the right brackets for the v8 you should be able to source a compressor from various models of cars.
    when i put the v6 in mine, beacuse of the engine mounts sitting it so low, ive got to move to a/c to where the p/s goes, castlemain rod shop do a kit il use
    the injected 304 out of the commy might be a easy spot to get compressor mounts,or commy 308? should be more common then early girls

Cruiser
    The new avatar looks like you're making some progress too.

Cheers Mark

Sandman Guru
    EFI bracket is no good as it puts the compressor where your steerig box is.

Just get a 253/308 V8 bracket and pulley off a HQ-HZ.

Note, if you can get the WHOLE car (6cyl HZ), or get the whole firewall cut with all A/C on it. Get the LHS inner guard too. That way you can leave it all intact and swap it over a bit at a time. You need to drill 6 x holes in the body: 1 x 32mm for the harness, 3 x overlapping 16mm for the heater hoses (there are guides for these on a non-A/C car) and 2 x small screw holes for the A/C air supply and blanking plate under the dash. There is also holes needed in the radiator support for the condensor hoses (overlapping holes, guides are here too to show you where to drill).

I transplanted a whole a/c set up from a v8 hz Stato to my hj pano. Not hard just a bit time consuming and fiddly. I had everything bar the Sandan compressor from the HZ so i used a mates compressor from a VL Commodore. Easy fit after i made the bracket out of 8mm plate. I used that compressor because it was offered to me for free. Its fun.!!!?

Thread Information