Thread: HQ - WB Power Rack and Pinion

HQ - WB Power Rack and Pinion

My daughters HQ 1 tonner runs stong arm steering and she's looking to add power. She's really keen on the power rack conversion from Blacks Racks and I haven't read a bad review.

By my reckoning cost will be around $3,700 (This will test her enthusiasm!!!)

A good recirc ball set up will probably run to around $1,000 with good pump and rebuilt box.

Has any one driven a car with this conversion 1st hand and what is the real world comparison to Recirc ball. From what I've seen, most people who bitch about vagueness bump steer etc on HQ - WB power steer have never driven one set up properly. (or maybe I'm just used to it).

for 1k you should be able to find a standard holden full reco power steer outright ...3700 is a bit of overkill to do power steer on a vehicle that has a factory power steer set up available...torana or early holden yes maybe for the softer people around... if she is going to go do some serious track drifting or maybe some track racing then you may consider doing a rack....i personally run no power steer in my van with 350 chev,a bit more air in the tyres works wonders..a couple of my customers have done the conversion for the wives/girls and have told me its very light.,

Thx Ozbox, I'm thinking about the same way. She does a lot of towing horse floats and its a bit tiresome backing in and around tight spaces without power. From what I gather you're a wrecker in Newcastle area - have you got a good setup for HQ? What would it cost to ship to Ballan in Vic? I kind of like the idea that you get some profit from this - if we had to pay for your expertise on this site you could probably retire by now! A couple of you guys put amazing time in on this.

After I destroyed the bearings in the steering column, I put a kit on my van but it needs wheel alignment and bushes. Idler has been done. I didn't think to check the steering arms, maybe the long ones on HX and changing these might help - It is very light but not very accurate. Driving this may have put her off so I'll have to talk her around. I'm really struggling with the cost of the rack set up. Hard to see the value, so unless someone has done it and can convince me?

long steering arms will affect the turning circle and your hx probably still have these...if its a bit all over the show and follows grooves in the road (tracking) then it needs wheel alignment etc...even 235 tyres on the front will cause hq to wb to do this...i dont have a good second hand kit but i do have a kit that needs reco on box and pump, i can supply this kit to you already recoed plus frieght ..give me a yell on 0249594546 during business hours and ill talk to you about..
    Last edited by ozbox; 29-05-2012 at 03:58 PM.

It's a rockin'
    i dont know why rack and pinion is so expensive fot HQs etc when one for a valiant is only about $1500

Thread Information