Thread: Steering shaft breaking

Steering shaft breaking

I was changing the power steering box in my van the other day. Had it in and was bleeding the system by turning lock to lock when all of a sudden the steering wheel just went round and round. Had a look and the flange had come off the steering shaft where it attaches to the flexible coupling. Damn glad it happened in the shed and not on the road! Ive never seen this before and was wondering how common it is?? Any similar stories out there?

It's a rockin'
    i asked a similar question not so long ago, when i cleaned mine up it didnt seem to have much of a weld on it but i have never heard of one breaking

Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    I was changing the power steering box in my van the other day. Had it in and was bleeding the system by turning lock to lock when all of a sudden the steering wheel just went round and round. Had a look and the flange had come off the steering shaft where it attaches to the flexible coupling. Damn glad it happened in the shed and not on the road! Ive never seen this before and was wondering how common it is?? Any similar stories out there?
    ive seen plenty of the couplings perish and break but in the 1000s of hq to wb ive wrecked in 30 years ive never seen a shaft break even in big hits...lucky man...go buy a lottery ticket..

I was thinking the same. I have had heaps of hq to wb's and seen plenty after being in big hits. Never seen a broken one. I might take your advice and go get that ticket! Ill try to get a photo up of it...

Thread Information