Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: bens 78 hz windowless

Loving the pics Ben...keep em coming...great work

ok guys a few more pics from a few months ago back where i started

the nasty nasty roof , the rest of the gutters wernt too bad just needed a good wire wheel etc,i had to get the back gutter made up lucky i got a mate at the metal place(dont look to closely at my welding)

315.jpg
    329.jpg
    pano 003.jpg

next i found this under about an inch of bog and i goota tell you it was a bit dis heartening at this stage , note how rooted the inner of sill on this side is . i dont have the inbetween pic but i had to weld a piece on the whole corner with the curve etc

003.jpg
    poo 003.jpg

had to get a piece folded up for inner sill the whole way along

008.jpg

the other side only needed this much , i dont know why one side was so much worse maybee parked that side on grass for a few years. but i tell ya if your sill panel only has a little rust at the back and front do the whole thing any way as it had nearly eaten through from the inside

panelvan 1 005.jpg
    panelvan 1 006.jpg

the back needed inners to , a fair bit of work and didnt get half the pics , a lot of sealer and stone guard in order

panelvan 1 007.jpg
    panelvan 1 015.jpg
    019.jpg

where im up to now all inside edges painted now onto doors

panelvan 1 003.jpg

cheers
    ben

Hard at work there mate, doing a good job.

Hard work indeed, the end result will be well worth it though. Good on you.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

It's a rockin'
    they were good at bogging things up in the 70s and 80s my HQ coupe was full of it, they had even cut and shut the left front guard and nosecone and i didnt know until i took them off . good work on your van ,what colour are you going to paint it ?

Quote Originally Posted by thatotherguy View Post
    they were good at bogging things up in the 70s and 80s my HQ coupe was full of it, they had even cut and shut the left front guard and nosecone and i didnt know until i took them off . good work on your van ,what colour are you going to paint it ?
    yeah there was so much bloody bog in it , it seems they had the bash it in bog it up approach.and also some bullet holes from from where you put screws in every where to pull dents out.
    so i had to weld all them up and try bash it to a reasonable shape, i think a skim of bog is not to bad over bare metal if its like maybee 5mm but not an inch lol.
    its gunna be palais white with the dy2 stripes.
    thanx for other comments im glad to be finished the welding side of things thats for sure

Excellent handy work dude. Great pics too!
    BQZ

You are doing a great job, we had the same after soda blasting our yellow van, the whole drivers side quarter looked to have had a bridge bolt run up the side of it...the nose cone had also been cut and shut, and bogged up, rust along gutter etc. you are lucky you can do your own work, we had a friend do ours he spent 400 hours getting it ready for paint, once it was blasted it was either plough on or throw it away....have a look at our thread which I will put as a link it isn't as bad as yours but there we kept finding more rust etc. once we started looking.

http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...k+soda+blaster

Cheers J
    Last edited by jennie285; 12-07-2012 at 10:03 AM.
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Sandman Driver
    nice to have u on the site Ben..

This is what the old girl looked like in the day...

Attachment 6080

Attachment 6081

Was 17 when i purchased the van, was a bit rusty then and heap of dents all over .. It had a single head light front on it which was changed to a twin light front from a mate's car he was wrecking. (grey)..

Had seen it sitting down at christies on the foreshore just getting worse over yrs. last yr saw it at murray bridge. salt water had really destroyed it..

Cheers Jaft
    Last edited by jaft; 27-07-2012 at 12:35 AM.

thanx heaps for that jaft thats awesome to see see the van in its hey day and know a bit of history bout it , i payed 3500 for it bout 6 months ago and went straight in and regod it just to make sure before i started work on it. and that explains the rust but im pretty happy ive fixed it all and loaded inside with fish oil.
    the red stripes dont look to bad on it either i wanted to go the proper blue ,dark blue decals but it might be a bit hard when the interior looks like this
    fart 006.jpg

needs a good clean but i guess i could aways change it later.not a lot of progress to report at the moment i have done the doors and i am going to get the rest of the parts sand blasted me thinks.
    13072012228.jpgpoo 011.jpg
    and another job thats keeping me buisy a 76 honda cb400f

22012012147.jpg

so i might see you around jaft in a few months hopefully
    cheers
    ben
    Last edited by benvanman; 27-07-2012 at 09:46 AM.

Thread Information