View Poll Results: Do you consider the HBD Vans as Sandman's?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 31.48%
  • No

37 68.52%
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: V series 'Sandman'

Quote Originally Posted by thatotherguy View Post
    there was a mambo ute and a matching mambo ski boat
    Ive never heard of the Mambo ute and Ski Boat.....are you confusing it with the HRT Maloo ute and boat?

--- Updated ---

Quote Originally Posted by SMQQTH View Post
    What does everyone make of this Brochure, that does not think they are Sandmans?

Like HK1837 says...the vehicles tags say its a ute....sadly nothing can change that!!

Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    this one is the only one i would consider as a sandman as it was made by holden and it actually says sandman on it, as far as i am aware there where no other one offs like this.
    Attachment 6131
    http://www.holden.com.au/concept-car...man-panel-van-

I believe that it is a van, or at least has the shape of a Panelvan. For the future of vanning I think we need to accept this. I can understand the purists point about it being not being a 'Sandman' but it is what Holden called the conversion! How can you argue with that!

The debate about how they should be judged at shows is always going to be a bone of contention. But I find the argument that they should be judged as utes because that is what they have on their plates a bit farcical, if a Panelvan that has been converted to a ute is then judged a ute, then these converted vans should be judged as vans.

I do think that it is a little unfair to judge modern tin against older tin because a lot more effort has gone into restoring/preserving the older girls, and I think this is where categories at shows should better represent vanning in the modern era.

The same goes for immaculately restored Sandmans and full blown custom vans, there needs to be categories to cater for all facets of vanning.

I for one would love to customise one of the modern 'millennium' vans, All the features
    and safety of a modern car in the style of a panelvan.

The one thing I don't like about that write up holden has on the mambo concept van is that they don't give any credit to John Evans, one of the godfathers of vanning, who had a major hand in its build.

Banned
    it was a piss poor marketing effort by Holden. It failed as no one wanted a ute with a canopy on it. So if future judge type people want to call a V series ute with a canopy a Sandman then they will also have to call H series utes with canopies panel vans.
    However, who cares what a judge reckons anyway? Cars are restored to be enjoyed by all, if a judge likes it then thats a bonus.

Hi Jon
    My 2c worth:
    I have difficulty calling it a van. To me it is a ute with a canopy BUT having said that, if it is able to have adequate access from the front into the rear (ie like the H series vans) i would have no problem calling it a van.

Whether i could call it a Sandman, this could be difficult if they just had the one option or not.
    Options could be:
    6cyl van = 3.6l
    8cyl van = Gen 3 with standard interior
    Sandman = Gen 3 with full Clubsport/Senator interior & HSV tags
    BO6 = Rarer then a Sandman

Settle down fellas... Never asked if it was a panel van!

I was more trying to point out that these are Sandmans so embrace them for what they are!

Accept that the tagged up Holden By Design converted and plated utes are in fact Sandman just like your tarted up belmonts utes and vans.

This tread has yet again proven to me that people are narrow minded and can't accept a change of thought in the heads.

Regards Jon.

If the guys building it have called it a Sandman then I guess that's what it is.

Jon has point. As "HOLDEN" state it is a "Sandman Conversion kit". Holden varify this in their release. Holden is Sandman.
    It is clearly not the same as Q-Z but this isn't 1979. Times change and I guess so must our understanding?
    HQ PANELVAN 308 SANDMAN '74'
    HQ UTE 173 '72'
    HQ SEDAN STATESMAN 308 '74'
    HJ SEDAN PREMIER 253 '75'

My 2cents worth!! I love them too and want to add one to my collection one day!!
    Sandmans are what they are too each individual and I see these as a Sandman!!
    That is all......

Quote Originally Posted by thatotherguy View Post
    there was a mambo ute and a matching mambo ski boat
    Indeed there was a ski boat which was build in Corowa for the express reason to compliment the Sandman concept van. I had the pleasure of seeing it in the flesh about 10 years ago and looked awesome at the time......mind you I thought the interior colours of the concept van was pretty neat but looking at the photos here, I'm not so sure anymore.

--- Updated ---

Call me old fashioned, but if Holden call it a Sandman......it's a Sandman. Whether you like it or not is a personal choice.....it's still a Sandman because that's what Holden have said it is.

Settle down fellas... Never asked if it was a panel van!
    Yes you did. In your very first post at the end of your third sentence.

I was more trying to point out that these are Sandmans so embrace them for what they are!
    Fair enough, right with you there on that one.... However my personal belief is that the farce is perpetuated by manufacturers trying to cash-in on a now defunct marketting project. Ford have/are doing the same thing with the GT/Cobra etc...

Accept that the tagged up Holden By Design converted and plated utes are in fact Sandman just like your tarted up belmonts utes and vans.
    Um, no. Mine was a Kingswood base and a ute at that, but thanks for asking....

This tread has yet again proven to me that people are narrow minded and can't accept a change of thought in the heads.
    You asked the question on a BB devoted to an Aussie classic and the result surprises you (and written sooooo well too - try these two next time - "thought process")? Why? Or is it that it was your intention all along to get a rise out of some, which is the more than likely reason you decided to play sciolist in the first place and now have placed a flouncy post having a go at everyone who seems to have a contrary opinion to yours....

Regards Jon.
    Smell the roses mate and be aware that there is the odd person here who could see what you were really trying to do. In the mean time.... Grow-up.

Regards,

Dave.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Thread Information