View Poll Results: Do you consider the HBD Vans as Sandman's?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 31.48%
  • No

37 68.52%
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: V series 'Sandman'

Quote Originally Posted by SMQQTH View Post
    No I never asked! I know its a panel van! Look at the things. Hard pressed to say it looks like anything else!

And before you say its a ute with a canopy have a look at any panel van holden have ever released... all based off the utility format.
    Have another read of what I have actually written, not what you think I have written or think I said. I know I was trying to get the post written at 4:30 in the morning trying to get out the door for work and do apologise for its brevity, however at no point did I say that I disagree with your point you made about a ute being associated with the Sandman name or decal kit or looking like a panelvan or anything remotely like that. Holden (or whomever does their dress-up kits and aftermarket stuff these days) can call it whatever they like. They quite obviously realise that there are a number of the population in their late 30's and up who have reached a point in their lives where either the original or one of these V series starts to appeal. Many will take the option you've highlighted because of many reasons such as later technology, comfort, noise etc and yet others will prefer the early option for their own reasons. When you put a fairly narrow point of view forward on a forum such as this one you are bound to get a variety of answers. If you didn't think you were going to get that response here you may want to pause for a while and have a think about it.

Just to re-iterate, I don't disagree with you there.

Sorry didn't ask that either... yes yes yes they were based off what ever the dealer fitted the Sandman pack to in MOST cases. Before you start saying something along the lines of mine a Brisbane build xu3 xx7 I don't care!
    Na, she's not a Brizzie build and I'm sure by now others have made the point better than I could about their origins. The point I was alluding to is that you actually made a generalisation that isn't strictly right in essence about the basis of ALL GMH's beautiful 70's creations.

With that comment I was merely making the point that, hey 'Sandmans' where not the top of the line product to start with. They started life as an ordinary ute or van which than coped the holden option at the time called 'Sandman Pack'. With Exceptions...
    No argument there, as pointed out by others some have small differences in their shells, but lets not get off track. I, like many, aren't all that fussed about the new stuff but will welcome and listen to anyone with an open mind and in fact I reckon I'm pretty close to the mark when I say that just about 100% of the regular contributors here are the same, hence the reason that for the most part this is a fairly quiet BB where from time to time a differing view may get aired but always recieves a reasoned response.

If Holden, through an external division, wants to call/resurrect a package and call it a Sandman then I guess that is their call and they can do what they like. I don't think too many here would get their noses out of joint about it and start slagging off about them not being what they are being sold as. What we are (mostly) keen on is a shared interest or "passion" with a particular variant of a make of vehicle. God that sounds sooooo like a Shannon's ad...

Maybe I was trying to promote the fact Holden have dubbed these as Sandmans and hey maybe a web site called my sandman should recognize these as Sandmans. Maybe give the people that own these modern Sandmans some where to come hang out and contribute to the forums.

Clearly not everyone one likes this idea.
    See above, suffice to say that it isn't up to any of us what is defined as a "Sandman". You originally asked an opinion, then stated yours and called those who disagreed with you (I believe) "narrow minded".

As for growing up... mate think I'm there.
    Take a moment to go back and re-read what you have actually written, not what you thought you said. You might then get an idea why some have risen to your bait. I stand by what I said about what you wrote. I mean (and meant) no personal disrespect to you as a person, however you words in the post I quoted on page two sure do sound like a good dummy spit to me and designed to get a reaction (look-up sciolist) or to elicit a specific response (which you got....).

The problem with forums or anything bashed into text on a public place is that things can be taken the wrong way. Clearly you have taken what I have started negatively. When in fact I was trying to make the point that yes they are Sandmans and maybe there is a lot of people out there that have never been shown the proof behind why they are regarded as Sandmans.
    Hallelujah to the first sentence!!! If I have misconstrued your actual written words (which I haven't) then I will (and do now) apologise to you publicly in front of everyone profusely, however if I have misconstrued your meaning of the words you have written then that unfortunately comes back to you not putting into words what you actually meant by what you've written. Quite happy to have a beer, a rum or a red with you and discuss these and any other issue you'd like to if I'm ever in the neighbourhood or vice-versa, my shout. I wouldn't have a clue nor speak for any as to the wheres and wherefors of your onus of "proof" in your last sentence however.

Very Best Regards,

Dave.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    I didn't say any such thing!
    Holden never called the vehicle a Sandman, the accessory is called a Sandman and it isn't built by Holden.
    Looks to me you did call the canopy and its associated bits Sandman!

As for Holden not building them... take a look at most of the parts that make up a Holden. A hell of a lot are subcontracted out. HBD may not be directly under the GMH logo but sure as hell HBD would have to work in conjunction with Holden and Holden would be giving the finial approval. Not to mention Holden would have to let the Sandman name be used on any product related to a Holden motor car.

Please HK1837 read the HBD sales brochure... it also says "rest assured with a 'Sandman' canopy, now you can add the convenience of a Holden approved and warranted canopy for you new ute."

Still stand by my words. If you have a HBD canopy fitted to your Holden ute, you have a Sandman!
    Last edited by SMQQTH; 08-08-2012 at 02:09 PM.

Sandman Guru
    I'm out, like arguing with a woman! I know what I said and I know what is correct.

I'm out, like arguing with a woman! I know what I said and I know what is correct.

wheres blocker we need a "like" button

Working from fuzzy memories here but I think the canopy was designed by Peter Hughes when Simcoe was the man at Holden. It was sourced to a company in Broady who went broke and I'm not sure who's doing them now. These weren't done by HBD as HBD was set up in a separate plant in Adelaide to do the special bits. I visited HBD when they were doing the dual fuel conversions prior to it being incorporated in the general assembly. I think HBD was somehow part of HSV or something like that and they were doing all sorts of bolt on custom stuff for customers who wanted something a bit special without adding that complexity to the line.
    The Sandman Conversion was ordered through the dealer and fitted by the company making them.
    Within Holden these were always referred to as Sandman conversions - make of this what you will. If I said to anyone within Holden, my car is the VY Sandman in the carpark they'd know exactly what I was talking about and would go straight to it.
    I love the passion you guys have about this though. HK1837 - how the hell do you know so much about this? Are you Ben Stewart in another guise? I am a little in awe.

--- Updated ---

By the way, When is HK1837 gunna do a Sandman book? I'd buy it.

--- Updated ---

By the way x 2 - The HBD plant was on the Elizabeth site

Quote Originally Posted by sandasharpe View Post

[/COLOR]By the way, When is HK1837 gunna do a Sandman book? I'd buy it.[COLOR="Silver"]
    He's doing it, he's just a bit slow cause he spends too much time on here correcting people.

I got curious today if Holden still offer the canopy...or are able to get one through them. After being on hold for 10min the spare parts bloke said no......best try aftermarket and said he wouldnt have a clue where to start looking. So however many canopies are out there, thats all there are...if you're so inclined to get one

http://www.amcat.com.au/index.php?p=1_9&p2=1

AMCAT is the supplier now, I am pretty sure they still produce the original ones too.

Thread Information