View Poll Results: Do you consider the HBD Vans as Sandman's?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 31.48%
  • No

37 68.52%
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: V series 'Sandman'

Doesn't have factory Sandman decal/paint scheme....none of them (except Mambo).....end of story. But geez they look cool

The modern design decals are available (same styling as the MAMBO prototype).
    But your right they were not factory offered.

Just like this:
    jon_evans_vy_van_003.jpg

mambo_van_001.jpg

grean_sandman_1.jpg

Of course the VE is an AMCAT build and really shouldn't have Sandman on it at all.
    But it shows the design.

Some personal expression:

another_yellow_vz_van.jpg

DSC_0290.jpg

Regards, Smooth

Sandman Guru
    Remember promontional stuff calls the canopy a Sandman, not the vehicle. A special vehicle package is a vehicle, not an accessory. Plenty of HX and HZ utes and vans were dealer fitetd with Sandman stripes, but they don't magically become Sandmans! Cool that someone kept the numbers, but as I said most of the HBD stuff no-one will ever care about like rear wings on cars etc. It is good someone took enough interest to keep the records for the canopies though. I have always planned to put the Mambo brochure in the book, and a short description of the concept.
    I reckon the VU-VZ versions look really good, but i'm not a fan at all of the VE version basically due to the tail-lights. Any of them look better than any other aftermarket canopy on any vehicle i've ever seen. Ben Stewart told me he took both Mambo vehicles around the driver training centre track in Brisbane at high speed, but never took a photo!

Well put "smooth," I agree with what you have written. It is holden's vehicle to name it as they please, and they look and perform incredibly well. The first new one I saw was a VZ at the holden dealer in maroochydore, there were sandman sign's everywhere so I went in to have a look.

The vehicle was marketed and sold as a sandman, so a sandman it must be. I never heard of anyone taking the company to court over misrepresentation of a motor vehicle, so the purchaser must have been very happy with it as well.

Cheers.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

The promotional stuff declares: "Sandman Canopy Conversion"

In my eyes and many others this means only one thing. Add the canopy for a conversion into a Sandman. Quite exclusive and expensive at that.
    Remember the ONLY way you can have an official VY - VZ "Sandman Conversion" was to order it via Holden and have it built. It is a permanent fitment and changes the body shape and weight.
    It's an option package, just like the originals only these models didn't need added sports stuff because it is already fitted.

I personally really admire your thoughts and obtained knowledge on certain things Byron (if sometimes a little pedantic) I'm afraid this is one area we are not likely to ever agree. For some reason you feel the Sandman Canopy Conversion is not worthy of Sandman recognition and wish to interpret the sales material differently. Some say the MAMBO SANDMAN prototype is a Sandman "the only one". Yet all official public release version aren't? Ridiculous! The reason these Vans exist is because the demand/interest shown in the promotional MAMBO SANDMAN. They are the same basic thing without the decals. Come from the same design plans and the very same mold. Most agree if Holden had added the stripe package the argument wouldn't even exist.

Now I don't give a flying _ about the decals, they don't make the difference in my eyes. Would appear it does to others as they need it spelled out in big bold writing in flashy or gordy colours.
    You also go on about HBD not being the production line etc. Mate, this also doesn't make a bit of difference. They are all under the same manufactures banner HOLDEN, it is their design and carries their trademark on the promotional material. Either in the single leaf flyer or the official series II sale brochure. The A9X was outsourced for the wheel arch treatment and flares along with many other things. What about the Repco input?

Saying it's the canopy and not the car thats rare! Again, the only way you got the Sandman converted car (not the canopy) was to buy it from Holden. You never could order a canopy only from Holden. Before anyone declares you can buy one from AMCAT still today. There are differences much the same as the little things in '70 Sandman bodies they are things that as different between the FTP/HBD versions and the AMCAT improved versions. But only people in the know who care to learn can pick these differences. You mention Terry and Ben quite often and quite rightly. But just like you, the knowledge has to be obtained over the years. I have sold items to Ben when he was doing his research and held many a conversion with Terry over the years about early Holden's and NASCO accessories where most of my knowledge lays. We learn from each other, in person at shows, swapmeets and various Nationals and then online via telephones and the Internet forums etc. Some write books to help educate, other webpages. But make a mistake and you are sure to be told a million times over .....

Agreed the plastic modern stuff isn't the 1970's Sandman that all love and cherish but the continual bashing on about the new stuff having no place in Sandman history because it's not the same as it was in the seventies is wearing a little thin through ignorance and or prejudice.

Even when it's laid out in official print, promotional advertising and brochures clearly stating what it is, you and others still want to override, rundown and exclude! Amazing...

Regards, Smooth
    Last edited by Innuendo; 26-11-2012 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Reducing dribble!

Sandman Guru
    You are right, we'll never agree on this point! A Sandman was a special vehicle package, that included various options and feature changes. This is a canopy fitted to a ute to make it into a pseudo-van (in original FJ-WB van terms I mean it is a pseudo-van). Simple. I doubt my opinion will ever change on this one!

That's fine Byron, everyone can have an opinion.
    This doesn't make your opinion the only one that counts though.
    Special vehicle package is exactly how I and others see the Sandman Canopy Conversion. Just in a different time and place on the car industry calender.

Your opinion is really no different to those who choose to exclude the modern Monaro from being "real" what ever that means! (not saying you agree with that).

Regards, Smooth

Banned
    I still say its a bit hard to argue with the poll at the top of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    I still say its a bit hard to argue with the poll at the top of this thread.
    Yeah because everyone who voted is an expert on both variants! Owned, play with and loved both variants?
    It's nothing more than an opinion poll. It not fact, it was bound to be heavily weighted one way based entirely on the basis of this forum.
    It's like saying how many people would take this girl out? Is the most popular girl is the only girl worth dating?
    Is one really second to the other? The fact they are both in the same poll says more!

Regards, Smooth

Here is the cover from the Holden Dealer Network Magazine "Upfront".

upfront_sandman_800px.jpg

Though I would add it as it is a less likely seen publication.

Regards, Smooth

Thread Information