Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HJ XX7 Van Tag Contradictions

HJ XX7 Van Tag Contradictions

Hi, I need to confirm whether this van is genuine. It seems ok however there's conflicting info on the build year (vin plate says 76 and compliance plate says 9/75). Also it's stamped XX7, but has 2200gvm on the compliance plate? Here's the tag info:

MODEL HJ8WM70 XX7
    BODY No 3____8B
    TRIM 1890 60V
    PAINT 568 15953
    L32 M20 GU4

8M70RFH3____8J

HOLDEN HJ PANEL VAN
    9/75 BHJ_____B
    GVW 2200kg Seating Cap 2

The body number matches the vin and I have asked for a photo of the chassis number to see if that matches the compliance tag.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Sandman Guru
    No contradictions exist with these plates. I'd need to see the full details to see if all belong together but a 9/75 build is a 1976 build in GM world.

All V8 HJ utes and vans are 2200kg prior to the introduction the second Sandman specification (XX7) and the XU4 normal comercials later in 1975. The "normal" or if you like "original" Sandman with commercial tyres existed for the whole of Sandman availability from early 1974 to late 1979. The second package with the lower GVW wasn't available until late 1975.

Yep. I'd buy it.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    No contradictions exist with these plates. I'd need to see the full details to see if all belong together but a 9/75 build is a 1976 build in GM world.

All V8 HJ utes and vans are 2200kg prior to the introduction the second Sandman specification (XX7) and the XU4 normal comercials later in 1975. The "normal" or if you like "original" Sandman with commercial tyres existed for the whole of Sandman availability from early 1974 to late 1979. The second package with the lower GVW wasn't available until late 1975.
    Hi HK, Thanks for that. I get how the 9/75 build would be classed as a 76. Just not sure if I understand what you mean about the Van being stamped XX7 but having the 2200 rating. I thought it should have been XU4. Or did the XU4 stamp not come until later?

The van appears to have the original full headlining and bucket seats in the light tan colour which matches up with the 60V on the body tag. It also has a white needle GTS dash and gts guards as well.

It all seems ok, but I wasn't sure about the XX7 stamp on a 2200 rated van.
    So, I guess the main thing is, in the eyes of the experienced guys here, it is a genuine Sandman. Thanks again

Sandman Guru
    All Sandmans were either 2155kg (6cyl) or 2200kg (V8) or in HQ 4750 or 4850lb prior to the 10cwt Sandman being introduced late 1975. Blame GMH for the confusion, if they'd left the original 14.5cwt Sandman package as XX7 in 10/75 rather than moving that code to the new package there would be no confusion. XU3 should have been the 10cwt Sandman alongside XU4 as the 10cwt ute or van. But just to confuse everyone they changed the 14.5cwt Sandman to XU3 and made the new 10cwt Sandman XX7.

I bought the van! Planning on body off chassis restoration to original specs - except driveline. Either GM Performance Crate Big Block or Small block LS with Tremec 5 Speed.
    Has a fair amount of rust but it's a genuine XX7 plated Mandarin Red HJ Sandman. I've wanted a genuine Sandman for years - ironically, I've recently moved to Christchurch NZ from Sydney and this one came up for sale on the North Island.

Well done, and good luck with the project.

MMMMMMMM........ Big Block!.......
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Cruiser
    Don't get me wrong here, it's your car & you can modify however you wish, but why hot rod a Sandman ?

To quote your words:- "I've wanted a genuine Sandman for years - ". If so, why not restore it.

You could pay less for a plain jane non-Sandman & fit the Tremec & BBC to that & it would be less work. I can't see why you would do this to a genuine Sandman.

Dr Terry

Sandman Guru
    I would too Terry. I wouldn't make body mods, but if I was to spend considerable $ on body and paint i'd be spending it on a Sandman. I'm doing the same to my yellow GTS327.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
    Don't get me wrong here, it's your car & you can modify however you wish, but why hot rod a Sandman ?

To quote your words:- "I've wanted a genuine Sandman for years - ". If so, why not restore it.

You could pay less for a plain jane non-Sandman & fit the Tremec & BBC to that & it would be less work. I can't see why you would do this to a genuine Sandman.

Dr Terry
    I have to agree with you Dr Terry, anyone can stick a big block or LS3 in an HQ-HZ holden and have a ball tearer on the street, but not everyone can say they have an original Sandman. In the long run the value of the car as a Sandman will be kept if it is built to the specs on the tags, rodding a Sandman will only devalue it. Having said that, it is MJB's car and at the end of the day he can do what ever he likes with it, that's what makes our hobby such a great one!!
    HQ Glacier White Belmont Ute
    Wanted Lanspeed accessories for Holden Grey engines, twin carb manifolds, extractors, rocker cover, 3 speed floor shift.

Thread Information