Thread: Wanted to Swap

Wanted to Swap

Hi all,

I know it's a long shot but a mans gotta try.

I have a RUST FREE genuine HJ Sandman Van shell without plates that I would like to swap for a genuine HX Sandman van shell. The HJ shell was originally Jade Green, was a factory floor shift and still has the full length headlining in black inside. It has one rear side window on each side and a sunroof. The HJ shell will come with a roof section if the HX shell is sunroof free. It also once had a Holden roof rack fitted (same as what were sometimes fitted to station wagons)

I am in this dilema as I purchased what I thought was a complete HX Sandman however later discovered that the shell was in fact HJ (its amazing what you learn once you physically have a car). In the interests of trying to keep the whole vehicle a genuine HX Sandman, am looking for a genuine shell.

Cheers

Steve

how unusual. The HJ Sandman Panelvan shell would have to be the rarest and the hardest to replicate. A HX Sandman shell is similar in most facets to a HX Kingswood Panelvan one with the most obvious differences the deletion of the side strips.

What chance was there that someone found a HJ Sandman Panelvan shell to replace a HX Sandman one... and why??? Wouldnt they have just registered the HJ? Doesnt make sense that they would put the HX plates on the doner HJ Shell unless the HJ plates were tainted.

What did they do where the firewall has the plug for the engine harness or is the under the dash U21 wiring HJ? You may have a complete HJ Sandman with only the HX plates on it. (Check chassis number, engine date code, M21 date code) There have been some terribly rusted HJ shells come up recently that were past restoring in my opinion.

Mauser
    Last edited by mauser; 17-09-2012 at 02:52 PM.
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Hi Mauser,

The van I purchased was in bits, had HX plates (tags) and matching HX chassis....the shell just happened to be HJ which I didn't realise until the Albury "Van In" back in April. I thought I'd make some modifications to try and make the shell HX but figured the HJ shell is a rare commodity and I should leave it as is. Was very tempted to buy the rusted out HJ on eBay last week but the wife said "NO!!!". Even the week long "Jamacian me crazy" puns didn't work (thought I'd use kids tactics alongs the lines of "are we there yet?" until she broke). Even if successful, that still would have meant that I was left with a HX chassis and tags but no shell.

Just trying to keep the dream alive and keep it right.

Cheers

Steve

Tell her it'll be worth more if it's a HJ. You've got the rare expensive part, whatever you spend on a Hj chassis/ tags you'll probably get back by selling the HX chassis/tags (or even better, buy a HX Kinga shell and flog the whole lot off as a complete car.

--- Updated ---

PS. Most women struggle to see the big picture when it comes to these things. They'll happily spend money on a fast depreciating asset but don't realise that pile of old junk will at least hold its value even if it sits there for a couple of years.

Thread Information