Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: N67 vs GTS wheel nuts

Sandman Guru
    The HZ/WB N67 wheel uses a steel wheel type nut. You can fit them with standard wheel nuts. WB may have even used the standard WB nut. The part number changed for Rally wheels between HQ and HZ.

1. I'm 99% sure they were the wheel nuts that were on the car when it left the dealership new.
    2. I can't speak for option N67 wheels on other holdens, or whether they share the same wheel nuts.

I have gone from an N67 wheel nut, that may or maynot fit the GTS wheel, to a GTS wheel nut that may or may not fit the N67.
    Although it does, and has done for 35 years.

And why would they be black (apart from making the car go faster)?
    Would they paint the nuts black as a marketing thing, or to help differentiate them from the GTS ones (that may have hard to identify changes)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
    1. I'm 99% sure they were the wheel nuts that were on the car when it left the dealership new.
    2. I can't speak for option N67 wheels on other holdens, or whether they share the same wheel nuts.

I have gone from an N67 wheel nut, that may or maynot fit the GTS wheel, to a GTS wheel nut that may or may not fit the N67.

Would they paint the nuts black as a marketing thing, or to help differentiate them from the GTS ones (that may have hard to identify changes)
    I did point out that the picture of the nut you put up would fit a steel GTS wheel (I thought that was the original question...). Was suggesting the nut you pictured wasn't the same as the early ones as Absinth (I thought) was pointing out...

Most of the early alloy wheels used a flat mating surface under a washer to achieve the friction to stop the nut from loosening. Not many used a chamfered nut, that is why many might not be aware that the one you pictured might do both. As to why black etc, the nuts may well have been used on Geminis (although I think they were metric), some Toranas etc etc as well, hence different finishes for what might look like the same nut. There are that many variations it is not easy to keep up with unless you were dealing in it every day. For example: early VB commodore I think had plain open nuts for the first few months of production, then went to a small chromed cap nut, then went to a larger black painted enclosed nut... all within a couple of months of the release of the vehicle.

Regards,

Dave.
    Nunc est bibendum...

The A9X used the closed over type
    I also thought they were for the HZ GTS
    Chrome A9X

Last edited by Alien DNA; 01-06-2018 at 06:51 PM.

Sandman Guru
    Looking at part number changes I think/propose/guess that a new part number for rally wheel nuts appears to have been introduced for the Polycast PE1 rims in HJ. I'd say they were made longer at that time, possibly the wheel brace was rubbing paint off the rubber wheel centre. The early HJ part number is the same as HQ but by HX and the later HJ parts book it has changed to a new number

i saw an XX7 on a gemini, it was on a gypsy van.
    "All correspondence must bear these numbers"

Sandman Guru
    Gypsy is special vehicle package XX7.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp View Post

Hmm, I stand corrected. It appears Holden didn't use washers on their alloy wheel nuts if these Commodore SLE nuts don't have them.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Commodore...1#ht_500wt_922
    Last edited by Absinth; 15-12-2012 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Updated info
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Thread Information