Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Lovely WB Kingswood ute, top spec driveline

Sandman Guru
    I won't say what it used to do but my old HJ Kingswood ute with 350 TH400 and 2.78:1 diff used to have a good cruising speed.

[QUOTE=adam perth;55987]
    Quote Originally Posted by Glacier 73 View Post
    Pfft drove my factory hz kingswood van 253 4 speed 3.08 doing 185 kph in the rain on the south west hwy then come and talk to me

185 km/h.....that would be top speed for a HZ pollution controlled 2 barrel 253. At least the WB 253 did 220 km/h. 80-90 miles and hour for a WB is at half throttle.
    I drove a 84 WB 5.0L the other day. very Smooooottthhh

great note. dunno about the traumatic though. bit chunky but i suppose that adds to the driving experience
    BQZ

[QUOTE=adam perth;55987]
    Quote Originally Posted by Glacier 73 View Post
    Pfft drove my factory hz kingswood van 253 4 speed 3.08 doing 185 kph in the rain on the south west hwy then come and talk to me

185 km/h.....that would be top speed for a HZ pollution controlled 2 barrel 253. At least the WB 253 did 220 km/h. 80-90 miles and hour for a WB is at half throttle.
    Forgot to add had 450 holley 4 barrel and extractors and a mild cam sorry

Sandman Guru
    Original WB trimatic is a way better box than an original WB TH350. Probably is a bit worn if it is clunky. When new the 80's trimatics were a really good thing.

nah just chunky. not very clunky just feels heavy... lots of car. chunky monkey!
    BQZ

Sandman Guru
    I was just thinking this car would be perfect for what I was talking about on the other pictures thread. Sell off the WB front side strips and 253/trimatic. Replace the plenum with a HQ one. Weld in lights on the rear quarters. Put on a HQ GTS/SS front. Add injected 304 and 4L60E. Leave interior as is but put in some U17 instruments and Rares fascia. Paint in a HQ Sandman colour like Saffron and blackouts. Stick on some N66 rims. Would make for a sub $20k car for me no real body or rust work other than as described. Looking at how straight it is means painting it would be an easy job. I can paint straight cars easy! Hate bent panels - leave that up to an expert. Just to find a HQ ute body in that condition with good doors and tailgate plus find a non cracked chassis would cost $3500 alone. Then not to have to touch the inside is worth another $1200. Sell the WB front, strips and 253/trimatic for $1800. If you could buy it for say $9k it adds up! Not having to do anything much to the chassis, steering, diff and brakes has to be worth another $750-$1000. Pipe dreams I know, but worth thinking about!

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    I was just thinking this car would be perfect for what I was talking about on the other pictures thread. Sell off the WB front side strips and 253/trimatic. Replace the plenum with a HQ one. Weld in lights on the rear quarters. Put on a HQ GTS/SS front. Add injected 304 and 4L60E. Leave interior as is but put in some U17 instruments and Rares fascia. Paint in a HQ Sandman colour like Saffron and blackouts. Stick on some N66 rims. Would make for a sub $20k car for me no real body or rust work other than as described. Looking at how straight it is means painting it would be an easy job. I can paint straight cars easy! Hate bent panels - leave that up to an expert. Just to find a HQ ute body in that condition with good doors and tailgate plus find a non cracked chassis would cost $3500 alone. Then not to have to touch the inside is worth another $1200. Sell the WB front, strips and 253/trimatic for $1800. If you could buy it for say $9k it adds up! Not having to do anything much to the chassis, steering, diff and brakes has to be worth another $750-$1000. Pipe dreams I know, but worth thinking about!
    Terrible idea! Why waste an excellent original looking ute doing that, especially to put HQ bits on.

Let's keep the purebred WB pure.

i cant say im a fan of tearing down good ones either. not to say I dont like the idea of an HQ front on a good rust free later model shell with the magic VS series 3/VT roller 5L! This would have to be my favourite engine that has ever gone into a Holden.. followed closely by the nissan VL commy turbo motor.
    BQZ

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by hx-sandman View Post
    Terrible idea! Why waste an excellent original looking ute doing that, especially to put HQ bits on.

Let's keep the purebred WB pure.
    Doesn't have to be a WB, HZ would do as well, just there is more return from WB front parts for resale. HZ would be simpler as no lights would have to be welded into the quarters.

Good idea Byron. The one I sold my mate we ended up putting a HJ single headlight front on. We didn't really want to change the guards so we cut the Hj nosecones behind the bumper and kept the lower apron from the WB. It was a real subtle thing to pick but it made the front end look real good. He's since found a WB statesman front with a stamped set of WB Gts guards so now I've got the hybrid front ready to go on something else.

WB taillights are shockers too. There's no excuse for fitting them to earlier models.

Thread Information