Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New project

A good pick up there, well done.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    Side panel windows in a HQ are aftermarket or dealer fitted. So none are "factory original"
    This has been proven not to be totally true..... Yes some windows are aftermarket and some were dealer fitted however there was a photo on this site of vans bodies being shipped on trains between assembly plants and some of the vans had windows cut in.... Factory fitted.."..

Now if someone can just find that photo

Are you 100% sure that they're HQ? No side vents so extremely late HQ using HJ shells. More likely HJ, unless you know otherwise.
    Nothing to say that these are factory either. Could simply be the first time offered by Holden. I.E: Early HJ
    Whatever the case, many variations of side panel sizes exist so it is unlikely you pull glass from one and fit into another (unless the same supplier).

I guess we are looking for GMH paper proof, and lets face it. If Holden was offering this option on HQ the price would have been horrific!

My understanding was that the windows fitted at this size going right to lip like that are dealer fitment and the factory fitted ones are smaller.

As cool as my daily is with no windows, driving through peakhour traffic makes me wish I had them. I'll be keeping the windows in the sandman when I restore that for driveability.

Looks like you've got yourself a great start to a project there.

Sandman Guru
    Those are Elizabeth hard trimmed and painted HZ's on their way to Dandenong for assembly. Not sure what you mean by late HQ with HJ body? All HQ's are HQ, HJ are HJ. The side gills were simply deleted mid 1974.

Side windows were always an option, it is just where they were fitted that differs. My guess is if you ordered them they'd be factory fitment, if they were ordered on a van already in stock they'd be aftermarket fitment. I've seen HQ build sheets with A09 on them, and as far as i'm aware dealer fitted options do not appear on on production broadcast sheets. Things like GMH supplied but dealer fitted towbars, mudflaps, radios etc.

Yes, well I just read that whole thread and everybody was talking HQ and none of the photos have anything to do with HQ.
    If you expect me to swallow a body redesign on the very last of the HQ Panel Vans you will never convince me of that. No side vents are just the new HJ shells.

AO9 on HQ yes, but who did them? Price and paperwork?

Sandman Guru
    It wasn't a body re-design, just deletion of pressed gills into the side panels. Probably done in preparation for HJ, but definitely NOT HJ bodies. If they were HJ bodies they'd also have amongst a few other bits and pieces:

Side strengthening ribs complete with captive nuts for intertia reel seatbelts.
    HJ console or seat seperator mounts.
    HJ cowl panels (for HJ bonnet).
    HJ dash panel.
    HJ firewall.

As I stated A09 appears on existing production broadcast sheets. Elizabeth body plant was obviously capable of doing it by the photo of those vans on trains. Just need info for Pagewood body plant and Acacia Ridge body plant. How much they cost I don't have documentation for that yet, and I don't expect it to be easy to find either as most vans were probably sold out of stock and dealers would have arranged fitment to those.

- - - Updated - - -

It wasn't a body re-design, just deletion of pressed gills into the side panels. Probably done in preparation for HJ, but definitely NOT HJ bodies. If they were HJ bodies they'd also have amongst a few other bits and pieces:

HJ console or seat seperator mounts.
    HJ cowl panels (for HJ bonnet).
    HJ dash panel.
    HJ firewall.

As I stated A09 appears on existing production broadcast sheets. Elizabeth body plant was obviously capable of doing it by the photo of those vans on trains. Just need info for Pagewood body plant and Acacia Ridge body plant. How much they cost I don't have documentation for that yet, and I don't expect it to be easy to find either as most vans were probably sold out of stock and dealers would have arranged fitment to those.

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Byron, I agree with the other body modifications but would these have been evident in a pre-1/75 HJ as they still had floppy seatbelts?

Mauser
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Sandman Guru
    Yes, holes are filled with white/grey putty.

Thread Information