Thread: air cond non factory

It's a rockin'

air cond non factory

IMG_2750.jpg
    the first step was to cut the top off a vent
    IMG_2751.jpg
    then i made a plate to seal off the vent ,you can get a factory blanking plate but they are usually rusty and i think water sits in there
    IMG_2752.jpg
    this is a vintage air supercooler it is 600mm long and it is a heater and aircond all in one unit
    IMG_2753.jpg
    this is the old heater unit and is approximately the same size as the supercooler
    IMG_2762.jpg
    i mounted my alternator on the right hand side using a vb-vc V8 alternator bracket but you have to also use a commodore lower pulley (and i will be using a new alternator i just put this one on to make sure everything fits) you can buy the bracket new from rares
    IMG_2763.jpg
    the compressor(again i will be using a new one ) is mounted using a modified aftermarket bracket from a swap meet .it did have the alternator on top but it was ugly so i cut the alt bracket off
    IMG_2764.jpg
    this is the unit mounted, the photo is looking through the glovebox opening (HQ) and you just use ducts to run it up to your factory vents.i also used a heater blanking plate mainly for insulation,available on ebay or make your own
    IMG_2765.jpg
    the firewall will look standard and much neater than the ugly factory set up and everything is new, the only addition will be the pipes from the compressor to the firewall .
    the other thing you need to do is get some aftermarket demister vents because the factory unit will not fit anymore.
    the cost so far is $400 for the supercooler (from ebay) they retail for about $800,new compressor is $350,condensor is $200 plus having pipes made up and the dryer and brackets etc i hope to have a brand new aircond system for under $1500.
    there are other aircond systems available just look for holden air cond on ebay . I have just spent 28hrs over the last 3 days in my shed in 35 degree heat so if i were you i would sell all this old junk and go and get yourself a nice CV8 or a V series van with air cond,fuel injected V8,airbags etc ...

Quote Originally Posted by thatotherguy View Post
    I have just spent 28hrs over the last 3 days in my shed in 35 degree heat so if i were you i would sell all this old junk and go and get yourself a nice CV8 or a V series van with air cond,fuel injected V8,airbags etc ...
    Been there, done that for all the reasons you mention plus more.

Great work though, hopefully soon you get to enjoy the fruits of your labour.

Good work thanks for that. Job well done

Fantastic post! I'll be coming back here to read again when I am at this stage.
    I really appreciate the time and effort you went to in posting photos and detail on how you did it.

It's a rockin'
    This aircond was a bit of a squeeze to get it in a HQ,not sure if there is more room in HJs to WBs i had it mounted and checked to see if the console would fit and it didnt so i had to move the air cond a bit . As i said it is 600mm long but you can buy one that is only 400mm long and i also had to make my glovebox a bit shorter but that didnt worry me because it will only have a stereo in it.there are probably things i have overlooked and if i find any problems i will let you know.

Thread Information