Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original part list on hj sandman

Learner Driver

Original part list on hj sandman

So I recently got a hj sandman for a restore and has a fair bit of rust too repair, I'm not sure on original parts for it so if someone could write a list of the original parts eg: if it needs the roof racks or not, bumpers/bumperettes , grille, motor, transmission and all those bits and peices would be great , currently has no motor or gearbox, it's a 1976 hj sandman I think it's 5th month

Cheers,

First you should have it 100% confirmed as a Sandman.
    Take photos and upload or list your compliance plate information and let the experts confirm what you have.

You don't want to invest too much time or money until you really know what you have.

Sandman Guru
    Especially if it is fairly rusty - you may end up spending more than it is worth on rust and paint alone!

Learner Driver
    The plates say on the car say
    Model. HJ8WM70
    Body No. 191361-A
    Trim. 2214-19V
    Paint. 568-15991
    Engine. L31
    Trans. M41
    RRAXEL. GU7

GENERAL MOTORS HOLDEN PTY LTD

8M70TFL344389J

This vehicle was manufactured by General Motors Holden's PTY. LTD. to comply with Australian design rules Nos.

1.2.3.4C.5B.6.7.8.9.10B.11.12.14.15.16.18.20.21.22 A.23.24.25.28.

Holden hj panel van

05/76 BHJ 57578A

GVW 1950 kg. seating cap. 2

Sandman Guru
    Ah, you really want to fix that one! An original 308, TH400, 2.78:1 LSD HJ Sandman van in Tuxedo black with black trim! I have this one already recorded with original engine number, production date and selling dealer (I think dealer 652 is Mitchell Holden in Whyalla).

Sounds like you have a winner!
    Wonder what happened with the original running gear?

So your question is what "options" were available to the Sandman from new?
    Towbar
    Driving Lights etc?

Bumperettes are factory standard and couldn't be optioned either way.
    Single 7" headlight nose cone. Fluted Guards. Full Length Roof Lining.
    You should have GM Rallye II GTS style rims and these would be date coded.
    GTS Sports instrument dash. GTS Sports steering wheel.
    Radio/Cassette.

I'm sure others will join in.

Learner Driver
    Thanks guys that helped and if I'm doin a restore does it need to be its original colour to keep its value? And if I go to Mitchell Holden in whyalla do you think I can get an original motor and gearbox ? , and just wondering bout the roof racks, it came with them on it , do I need to have them

Cheers all help is muchly appreciated

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Hjsandy View Post
    And if I go to Mitchell Holden in whyalla do you think I can get an original motor and gearbox
    Sure they probably still carry a full line of new old stock spares for it as well....

Cruiser
    Mitchell Holden have changed owners/names it is now McLeod's Holden, they are building a new showroom down the road so it might be a good time to ask if they have any records left, as they will probably cull any old stuff when they move.

Quote Originally Posted by Hjsandy View Post
    Thanks guys that helped and if I'm doin a restore does it need to be its original colour to keep its value? And if I go to Mitchell Holden in whyalla do you think I can get an original motor and gearbox ? , and just wondering bout the roof racks, it came with them on it , do I need to have them

Cheers all help is muchly appreciated
    There is a very BIG difference restoring for maximum potential sales price and restoring to a build YOU like.
    Maximum value is gained by restoring to factory production and keeping it all original. But, if you are missing original parts like engine etc and don't have a the full history of the Sandman you will never reach maximum value anyway. Being as yours is a rare colour/trim and engine/box/diff combination it is more desirable and thus has the potential for a good return. But if it is extremely rusty and is going to take more money then it will be ever worth then these things need to be considered.

You cannot buy the original motor from Holden with the correct engine number, even if it was 1976 you couldn't have the same engine number. It is unique to the car when built. "That question comes across as if you pulling our chain!"

Sounds like a neat car from factory. You just have to weigh up what you want from it and how deep your pockets are.

Thread Information