Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my hj a real sandman

Learner Driver

Is my hj a real sandman

Hi I'm I've been researching a panel van that has been in my family for the last 15 years and now I own I've been to a lot of different stories on how to tell if its a real sandman but I'm still none the wiser just confused it doesn't have xx7 or xu3 on the tags but is a factory v8 2 seater with gts options it has a full roof lining with the factory hooks at the back where the hood lining attaches to has arm rest on the doors which I've been told is only in sandmans. I no it was built I'm Melbourne and I've been told they didn't make them there? I d also been told its an ambulance pack which I have no idea what that means its a 253 with a 4 speed on the floor the tyre plaquard says it has 14 inch wheels
    Model: HJ8WM70
    Body: 181833-A no idea what this means
    Trim: 1898-19V
    Paint: 567-15944 deville blue
    L32. M20. GU4
    GVM: 1950kg
    Seats: 2. 3/76
    BHJ13519M
    And chasis matches any help would b really appreciated so I can once and for all no if its the real deal or not

Sandman Guru
    It most likely is. Won't be an Ambulance with 1950kg GVW. The only other thing it may be but which is very unlikely is a HJ Holden van with option code B30 (comfort package) which gives you carpet and full length headlining, but these are VERY few and far between. I'd be 99% sure it is a Sandman but you can't tell from those ID plates. The only thing that a Sandman will have that the Holden van can't is a console, so if it has factory front and rear console brackets (not welded on afterwards) it will be a Sandman.

Can you post up the VIN? Will be close to 8M70RFJ5144xxJ. It will help me resolve a fair few cars around it. I have one with BODY number 181834-A, and some VIN digits missing so yours will help me nail it down. Plus a few others around it.

181833-A is the Elizabeth, Adelaide body plant body sequence number. The hard trimmed and painted HJ van bodies were shipped to Dandenong and Pagewood for assembly.

Learner Driver
    Thanks heaps that's the best info I've had yet it does have factory console brackets 8M70RFJ514304J thanks again

Learner Driver
    So the one u have came of the production line after the one I've got so is the van u have a real sandman ?

Sandman Guru
    Yes it is, but it wasn't on the assembly line straight after yours. These two were assembled on the Dandenong (Melbourne) assembly line, but the bodies were constructed, painted and hard trimmed in the Elizabeth (Adelaide) body plant. They most likely were consecutive at the Elizabeth body plant, but unless they are the same colour or trim it is unlikely they followed each other through the Elizabeth paint process. I don't know what criteria put them in order at Dandenong, possibly paint colour as the guards, nose and bonnet were painted there, but it could also be other factors like trim, driveline or simply delivery time requirement. Remember these would have gone down the Dandenong line with Toranas. Dandenong only did ute, van and tonner in HJ, mainly utes and tonners which would be something like 85% of their HJ production.

Learner Driver
    Ok cool thanks your a wealth of Info cheers mate I'm in the process of a full resto at the moment hoping to have it completed towards end of the year

Learner Driver
    Hi hk1837 how can I tell if I have the original motor still in my sandman any ideas ?

has it got black or white stripes? as deaville blue had the choice of either colour
    "All correspondence must bear these numbers"

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Mixtevns View Post
    Hi hk1837 how can I tell if I have the original motor still in my sandman any ideas ?
    If it has QR721977 in it it is the original engine.

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by adam perth View Post
    has it got black or white stripes? as deaville blue had the choice of either colour
    White was the stripe colour for HJ in 1898 Adam. If you wanted black you optioned XY5, same as all other colours.

Thread Information