Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HSV Commodore super sedan is Holden's fastest ever

HSV Commodore super sedan is Holden's fastest ever

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226629539865

IT has been one of the best-kept secrets in Australian automotive history.

But today News Limited can exclusively lay bare classified information on what will be the fastest and most powerful car Australia has ever produced, and likely ever will produce, the new Holden Special Vehicles GTS.

Its supercharged V8 also has more power than the fastest European sedans on sale in Australia today. Only the next Mercedes E63, which goes on sale locally later this year, will match it.

Priced close to $100,000, the new HSV GTS will cost almost three times as much as a regular Holden Commodore, but less than half the price of its European rivals. It is due on sale in August.

The new HSV GTS has 575 horsepower, only 25hp less than a V8 Supercar racing machine.

Performance times are yet to be announced, but the new HSV GTS is said to accelerate quicker than most Porsches, reaching 0 to 100km/h in "comfortably less" than 4.5 seconds, which also happens to be the unofficial time for the latest supercharged Ford Falcon GT.

Its top speed would in theory eclipse 300km/h (matching its European rivals) except it has been capped at 250km/h to comply with General Motors' global policy. However, the limit will still allow enthusiast drivers to explore its potential on a race track, where many of these new HSVs are expected to spend their weekends.

Given the likely switch to locally-made four-cylinder economy cars in the future, the new HSV GTS is poised to become a collector's item; a fitting exclamation point for a manufacturing industry on the brink.

As with most HSVs built over the past 25 years, the new GTS is built to a partially-complete form alongside regular Commodore models on the Holden production line at Elizabeth, north of Adelaide. It is then transported to HSV's final assembly area in Clayton, near Melbourne, where the performance brakes, tyres, suspension and unique bodywork is fitted.

The 6.2-litre supercharged V8, borrowed from a race-bred Chevrolet Camaro, is fitted on the production line in Adelaide. HSV's previous horsepower hero, the W427 built in 2008 and 2009, had its engine fitted at its Clayton facility. This makes it the most powerful engine to ever go down a Holden production line.

The new HSV GTS has Porsche-inspired "torque vectoring" technology to help it stay glued to the road. The suspension is the same type used by Ferrari, responding to changes in road conditions in milliseconds. It also has the biggest brakes ever fitted to an Australian-made car, and tyres initially developed for Mercedes-Benz.

The new HSV GTS was so secret that only an inner-circle of senior Holden executives were allowed in the planning meetings over the past four years. Early HSV prototypes were assembled by hand so they didn't go along the regular Holden production line, to ensure the secret would not get out.

HSV GTS
    Price: $95,000 plus on-roads (approx)
    Engine: Supercharged 6.2-litre V8
    Power: 430kW and 740Nm
    0 to 100km/h: Less than 4.5 seconds

BMW M5
    Price: $229,500
    Engine: Twin turbo 4.4-litre V8
    Power: 412kW and 680Nm
    0 to 100km/h: 4.3 seconds

Mercedes-Benz E63
    Price: $240,485
    Engine: Twin turbo 5.5-litre V8
    Power: 386kW and 700Nm
    0 to 100km/h: 4.3 seconds

Porsche Panamera Turbo
    Price: $382,400
    Engine: Twin turbo 4.8-litre V8
    Power: 382kW and 700Nm
    0 to 100km/h: 4.1 seconds

Ford Falcon GT
    Price: $70,790
    Engine: Supercharged 5.0-litre V8
    Power: 335kW and 570Nm
    0 to 100km/h: 4.5 seconds

Ford Falcon GTHO Phase III (1971)
    Price: $5250
    Engine: 5.8-litre V8
    Power: 280kW and 513Nm
    0 to 100km/h: 6.8 seconds
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

.... are they doing a station wagon version. haha

Mauser
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

V8s are alive and well

Ahhh good to see, if you can afford to purchase one of these babies maybe there is a slight chance of seeing them on the road. They are certainly being built with all the best gear required, handling, brakes etc. Looking forward to seeing them in the showroom's.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

they could charge an extra 25-50K is they pissed the two back doors off! a sports car should not double as a shopping trolley!!!!
    BQZ

Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post
    they could charge an extra 25-50K is they pissed the two back doors off! a sports car should not double as a shopping trolley!!!!
    My thoughts exactly, i just wonder if its only 25 hp less than a v8 supercar where are the rollbars massive brakes and so on.
    problem is with all that horsepower, where can you use it apart from the track.
    I can't talk buying a 400 hp sports car with proper race chassis and adjustable suspension and brakes, but it was intented to do some club racing, not to do the shopping and cart the kids around.
    Last edited by buck; 26-04-2013 at 04:48 PM.
    Driver -1981 WB kingswood 253 4 speed
    Weekend- AC Cobra replica 302ho(425hp) 4 speed toploader
    Project Complete- SLR 5000 LH mock up(next door Neighbors)
    never late in a 5.0 litre

Never late for work, dinner, kids dancing lessons, holidays... Sweet ride. I wonder just how many we'll ever see on the road? I can count on two fingers how many W427's I have ever seen actually driving on the road and one was at my wife's old work when they were released (Holden dealership).

Certainly more grunt than you'll ever need/use on the road but the way they would be tuned/mapped I guess they would drive like a pussy cat rather than what 500+hp used to drive like 20 years ago. There would certainly be no mistaking the whine...
    Nunc est bibendum...

Sandman Guru
    I wish motoring writers would get it right, no such thing as a HSV Commodore, they should know better.

Not for me either, it is a 4 door, and to me no 4 door will ever be a muscle car no matter how much they try to convince otherwise. I'd rather 427 coupe anyday. It'll still be a fantastic car for the money though, especially when they are sub $40k in 4-5 years. Original VT and VX style GTS sedan were over $100k too but could be had for mid $30k around 2005-6. Same thing but in a coupe held their value!

Sandman Driver
    I'm sure people will buy em and some will never see a race track, but - but at least they can polish the fenders.

Nice stance on it though if final car looks like the conception drawing.

It will be very interesting to see what fpv do next the r spec gt at 335kw can easily be increased by chipping the police r spec gt is 400 kw and I have a friend the that chipped his aftermarket and I think he can achieve 450 kw's
    HZ jasmine yellow sandman van
    HZ Madeira red sandman van (now sold to bigrob)
    HX mandarin red sandman ute
    HZ malachite green sandman van
    Married to Jennie285

Thread Information