Thread: Australian Muscle Car Magazine/ The Van That Rocked.

Australian Muscle Car Magazine/ The Van That Rocked.

Hi All

For those who might be interested, there is an article about old panel van magazines in the Australian Muscle Car mag issue 67. It portrays the hype around the popularity of the panel van back in its day. Good read and good photos. Also in article a guy named Stuart Scott produced a book called "The Van That Rocked". If you want to check it out go to this website. www.mediadynamics.com.au/streetlight. Can't comment on book, but I have ordered one.

Cheers
    Don't Come Knocking If This Van's Rocking

Old news to you and some others, but new news to me and could be to someone else.
    This thread date back to February, I never came across it or knew anything about it.
    I don't go looking back for old threads either.

This Australian Muscle Car magazine is a new current issue (May/June issue), the article, information about this book is all new news and first time I read about this story.
    For me, I was happy to share this with anyone who was interested.

Thanks for the old thread, it was interesting to read the comments.
    Notice no feedback about this book or is there another thread for this.
    Would be interesting what some people thought about this book.

Thanks Sndman77 for sharing. I saw the article and was also going to post something but it slipped my mind. Cheers

It is an excellent read covering all aspects of Vanning (from manufacturers to individuals, even the show promoters and show scene). Great stories with lots of pictures and quotes from people involved with Vanning/Van customising in the early '70's through the '80's and even touches on the V-Series.

If you have any interest in Vans and Vanning History it is a must have.

Sandman Guru
    I got a copy recently and it has some good historical info that fills a few gaps for me. I want to get onto Scott and see what his sources were for a few things, and maybe share a bit of info too.

Yesterday I order a copy of this book and I'm really looking forwards to reading this book.
    Thanks for letting know about your thought about this book.

The oz muscle car article was good too. It wasnt so much about the new book as such, but more about the van craze and all the magazines that sprung up over the decade and why some lasted and some bit the dust.

As you'd probably expect, the ones that featured lots of boobs with the vans were the ones that were the big sellers. Funny sectiion about the guy who tried to start a van magazine that was about vans and van culture. Not boobs and cheap thrills. His mag flopped. They interviewed him in the article and he basically said, I said that? Geez what was i thinking...?

Gotta love the 70s van culture.

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    I got a copy recently and it has some good historical info that fills a few gaps for me. I want to get onto Scott and see what his sources were for a few things, and maybe share a bit of info too.
    I was his source for the story about the drive in and the teenage slant on vans in the late 70's early 80's
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Quote Originally Posted by hainzy View Post
    The oz muscle car article was good too. It wasnt so much about the new book as such, but more about the van craze and all the magazines that sprung up over the decade and why some lasted and some bit the dust.

As you'd probably expect, the ones that featured lots of boobs with the vans were the ones that were the big sellers. Funny sectiion about the guy who tried to start a van magazine that was about vans and van culture. Not boobs and cheap thrills. His mag flopped. They interviewed him in the article and he basically said, I said that? Geez what was i thinking...?

Gotta love the 70s van culture.
    Well I was part of it in a small way. But the Van mag that flopped vs the Van mag with boobs. That's Van Action = 10 Issues vs Van Wheels = 10 issues + a "best of" So one didn't ever flog the other!

Thread Information