Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel gremlin

Fuel gremlin

I have got my van registered and back on the road but have a gremlin to sort out, the van has been roadworthy for about 5-6 weeks and would sometimes stall when hot but fire straight back up two weeks ago whilst out cruising it stalled whilst turning into a driveway but again fired up about 20 minutes later I pulled up to adjust my seat and when I went to go again I stalled it and then its wouldn't start. The fuel filter was empty so I poured a bit of fuel down the Rochester and it fired back up, I then drove into town and when coming around a dipping corner it again stalled and wouldn't start had to get someone come with some fuel and again poured some down carbie and fired up fuel filter also showing empty. I then purchased a new fuel pump even though it had a new one initially just to eliminate. Today I took it for a run and decided to deliberately stall it and see what happened and again wouldn't start. Went through same process putting down carbie and eventually fired and turning a left dipping corner slowly it cut out but fired again. When its stalled and wont start the carbie is still pumping fuel into the barrels , the carbie is a fully recod one from Hume Performance so the question beckons has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions as to what the problem maybe?? thanks in advance. I have also checked the filter in the carbie which was fine.

One thing worth checking is that the fuel cap is vented. You could try driving it with the cap off and see if it does the same thing. Either shove a clean rag in there or wack on one of those emergency caps.
    The empty filter could be a sign of a tank that is pressurising and pulling the fuel back to the tank.

Sandman Guru
    ^^I agree. Could be a combo of pre and post canister stuff or the fuel tank not breathing properly.

Banned
    But there is fuel in the carby. Is the filter before the lift pump or after it?
    Last edited by wbute; 29-08-2013 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    But there is fuel in the carby. Is the filter before the lift pump or after it?
    Yes filter is after pump , (btw pump and carbie)and yes when it stalls and wont start if I pump the carbie by hand I can see fuel squirting into the carbie so I thinking is the problem in the carbie??

Banned
    Filter should be before pump. I think it's an electrical problem. Could be coil or if electronic ignition the module.
    Last edited by wbute; 29-08-2013 at 09:30 PM.

Check the hoses in between the hard lines are all good, mrs mooks prem was doing this and took ages to work out that it was the one piece of line that hadn't been replaced. Was sucking air not fuel.

Before the pump is suction side so if you have a cracked or perished hose you wont see it leak it will suck air in. there is a short piece on the chassis rail about under the drivers door and at the tank itself. But if you still have fuel going in when you pump the carbie I'd say its over fuelling or more likely your ignition system check your timing, points, plugs leads ext, Was your new engines cam dialled in correctly? Also a vacuum or intake leak could produce a similar fault, does it stall if you pump the brakes at idle?
    1976 HJ XX7 Sandman
    Genuine VN SS manual atlas grey
    HX LE Coupe project

Check engine vaccume. I have engines do this with worn valves. Is the engine an old engine .? Like prior to 2001 build? Heads may not be built for unleaded and valves go quickly..
    Last edited by adam perth; 01-09-2013 at 11:50 PM.

Engine has been fully reco with valves upgraded for unleaded

Quote Originally Posted by adam perth View Post
    Check engine vaccume. I have engines do this with worn valves. Is the engine an old engine .? Like prior to 2001 build? Heads may not be built for unleaded and valves go quickly..

Thread Information