Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Door identification part I - HQ

Door identification part I - HQ

OK...following on from the popular thread that blocker started about internal/external differences of the hq through to wb door...
    THE FIRST DOOR pictured is an hq door..there is more than one hq door..real early hq has a unique electric only door and a manual door that does not have pressings in it to take the later hj hx hz wb front channel which you need if you are using a hj to wb window..hq window and front supporting channel are unique to hq...
    I do not have a picture of either of these doors but you will figure it out i am sure if you ever come across one..
    There is also 2 types of later hq doors..one has a hole for an ashtray and one doesnt..all hq doors have the little cut out at the top to allow you to bolt or unbolt the front window roller channel..

This is an hq door without the ashtray hole..

Hole for bolts for window channel.

HQ also should have that little triangle thingo in the top corner..
    I have nfi what it was put there for..one of the great mysteries of life..and hq doors.

This is an hq door with an ashtray hole..thats the square you can see towards the front of the door down the bottom..some hq had the ashtray in the door trim and it swiveled back into the door cavity..
    So in conclusion there is 4 different types of hq doors..no hq doors have intrusion bars..intrusion bars are explained in my next post about hj to wb doors..also with happy snaps...
    Last edited by Alien DNA; 01-06-2018 at 12:33 PM.

Nice write up Greg.

With the little triangle. I believe its there so when you have the window slightly cracked the window doesnt rattle? Something I was told a long time ago. But not sure if it would be correct.
    Owner (Jason) - STICKTHIS Automotive Decals and Stripes

HX Sandman Panelvan. Mint Julep. Complete Factory Resto.
    HZ Sandman Ute. Saddle Tan Metallic - Customised. Galaxy Blue.
    HZ GTS. Palais White. Next Resto From 99% NOS Parts.
    HSV GTO Coupe - Highly Modified
    VR SS into a VS Supercar Castrol Perkins Ingall 1997 Tribuilte build

very interesting!
    just checking that everything was done right with the hq door that i converted to wb by cutting out the pressing next to where the ash tray would be on the wb door and grafting it into the hq door. is that all that was needed? i hope so?

see here for some pics
    http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/e...work-completed!

Quote Originally Posted by mook View Post
    very interesting!
    just checking that everything was done right with the hq door that i converted to wb by cutting out the pressing next to where the ash tray would be on the wb door and grafting it into the hq door. is that all that was needed? i hope so?

see here for some pics
    http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/e...work-completed!
    mook,yes you have done it right but you have also thrown another type of hq door into the mix..when i was taking pics yesterday i saw one of those on a car with the not quite round holes at the top instead of the oblong opening...i shall go and investigate...

Quote Originally Posted by ozbox View Post
    hq also should have that little triangle thingo in the top corner..
    i have nfi what it was put there for..one of the great mysteries of life..and hq doors.
    So when the door goes up slightly out of alignment due to work out channel rollers it gets pushed back into place due to the angle on the back of the triangle? Well that's what it's doing on my door now anyway.

actually, and i only know this from tinting so many in the 80's, there is a slight difference at the front of the door where the frame meets the main dor section right above the mirror where the very front of the glass comes to a point
    On the later (J-B) there is a small section of guide or rail that covers the very point over the glass.
    Thats usually the quickest way to tell if they're HQ doors or not as a lot of people removed those top corner guides
    i would say the wedge was put there as a guide to help the window locate properly as they're not supported as well in the HQ because of the lack of extra support from the extended guide

Maybe someone can put pics?

One thing I've not yet been able to find yet is how to identify doors that had speakers fitted from factory?

Sandman Guru
    Only WB from memory?

wasnt it only wb staties that got hacked out for the speakers, up above the armrest

Well that leaves me with a new question. If optioned with a radio, where were speakers located then, in the case of HQ utes, vans and 1 tonners?

Thread Information