Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HJ XX7 Van Tag Contradictions

Sandman Guru
    I don't agree in some ways. If it doesn't have its original engine then it'll be worth more with a SBC or BBC or EFI 5L than it'll be worth with the wrong 253.

I seriously don't understand people hunting out a genuine Sandman and modifying it to non tag specs.
    Sure I love a Big Block (even own one) but modify non genuine Sandman's. You pay a premium for the fact it is and then lose it all with the mods. Crazy!
    Your car, your choice, Public forum, my opinion.

Sandman Guru
    My take on it is if i'm going to spend bulk $ on repairing and painting a vehicle i'd rather do it to a higher value vehicle. Mechanicals are easy to change. Why you'd want an old 202 or 253 and 4spd when you could have an injected engine and auto is beyond me! I'd not pull apart an original ready to drive car, but if I was startimng from scratch with a restorer I wouldn't waste my time and effort on the wrong engine. Just my take anyway.

I don't get it. U can almost go pro tourer and change it back to original in 2 days without scars. So u may as well start with the real deal. Sandmans aren't that expensive anyway

It's a rockin'
    Old Holdens were meant to be modified,its an Australian tradition Restoring is Boring...just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by adam perth View Post
    I don't get it. U can almost go pro tourer and change it back to original in 2 days without scars. So u may as well start with the real deal.
    Well said....that's my train of thought on the matter also

Bit of a contentious issue! I like the idea of restoring a car the way it was originally built. I plan to keep the body, paint, interior trim, wheels etc all as per the tags. I see no reason to change any of this - there's not many better looking cars out there in my eyes. However, there are many nicer engine and gearbox options than a 253 with Aussie 4 speed. Nothing will be done that can't be reversed easily. I've always wanted a big block van that looked totally standard. The LS engines seem like a good option though especially the eRod kit GM Performance are selling. I had a HJ van when I was an apprentice - a white base model with 253 4speed which I painted Windsor Blue and currently own a nice original Atlantis Blue Kingswood Van with factory L31, M21 GTS dash and full headlining. It's still mostly original paint....
    WEFOOT.jpgKINGSWOOD.jpg

Here's the SandmanSandman 1.jpgSandman 2.jpgSandman 4.jpg
    It's currently got a 308 with Supra 5 speed. Looks like it had a rebuild in the 80s or 90s but there is the original Mandarin Red paint showing through where the paint is chipped or scratched...
    Not sure where to start...

"Not sure where to start..."

Drag up a milk crate. Crack a beer and just look at it. Woohoo... well done. :-)

Mauser
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Thread Information