Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Rob's WB....

ive got a stubby one (hahaha)

yeah its all about function as you get a little older. im only just starting to realise that now mind you
    BQZ

Yeah, I got the 383 ages ago. It was built for a mate with a Torana, and he sold the Torana before the motor was installed. He needed a few car parts to finish another project and offered me the motor for the parts.

I got a GOOD deal!!!

I was going to throw it in my SL/R, but put my blown motor in instead. Then I was going to put it in my V8 Sunbird sleeper, but I had a 308/trimatic combo that was ready to go, so I used that. Then I had it earmarked for my HJ ute but it's a manual and the 383 is a turbo pattern block, so now I have the van, all I need is a turbo 400 and I'll throw it in there, with maybe a B&M shifter.

I'll get around to it sometime soon........

SLR jan 2006 004.jpgThis is the 383 with my blower mocked up on it before I put it in the SL/R.
    Last edited by Blocker; 26-11-2013 at 08:15 AM.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

I spent about an hour in the fabric shop when I went to town today to get some curtain material for the tailgate window. After deliberating over 10 different shades of blue I settled on a really cool blue sort of corduroy/denim that should fit well with both the exterior DY2 colour and the interior blue bits. I'm going to mock it up in the next few days so we'll see how it looks.....
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Took the van to Canberra yesterday for it's 1st long(ish) run since I've owned it.

Loaded it up with spares and tools (just in case) and I'm happy to say that the toolbox remained closed.

I dropped - in to Husky SRT's place to meet him & check out his van and he is going to have a nice one when it's done. His shed looked as "busy" as mine!

It's been a long while, probably 35 years, since I've done a trip in a van on a rough country road and it performed far better than I expected. My wife was apprehensive about taking it, fearing a breakdown or at least an uncomfortable trip, but we had the air-con on most of the way and even though it was a hot day, the temperature gauge never got past 1/2 way.

It could use a bit more power (Holley, manifold, extractors......) but it was pretty quick and fairly economical for a pollution 253.

And the speedo just clicked over 220,000kms.
    Last edited by Big Rob; 02-12-2013 at 02:44 AM.

" BUSY " you mean " FULL OF CRAP " glad to see you got home ok.

Full of GOOD crap!

Thanks, the trip was painless..... felt like the old days again, driving through Bungendore and Braidwood and all the people staring at the old van thinking about what they got up to in one....

You just need a surfboard on the roof, a coral necklace and a crystal cylinders t-shirt and it would be like a trip down memory lane..

Quote Originally Posted by husky srt View Post
    You just need a surfboard on the roof, a coral necklace and a crystal cylinders t-shirt and it would be like a trip down memory lane..
    Piece of cake!

I've got all 3. I don't want to fit a roofrack though, but I could leave the tailgate open and have the board sticking out......

20170324_121921.jpg20170323_114531.jpgIt's been a long time but I'm starting the rebuild on my WB. It's scored a bit of rust in a few spots over the past 3 years and if it's not attented to soon it will be a major, rather than a simple repair.

This of course means a full respray, I'm staying with white and DY2 stripes and I've also picked up a WB Statesman front (although I need a good bumper if someone has one).

Progress pics ....

Some interesting cars in the background, EH sedan , XA coupe ?

Thread Information