Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Project Factory HQ 308 XX7

Quote Originally Posted by hxbunny View Post
    Thought i saw your orange van up here last week Craig, did you sell it or is there another the same,

Cheers Mark
    Hi Mark, yes sold van but the one you saw wouldn't have been mine as it has gone to QLD
    Last edited by hqhzvans; 18-01-2014 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hqhzvans View Post
    Hi Mark, yes sold van but the one you saw wouldn't have been mine as it has gone to QLD
    It's like ping-pong with Queensland and Sandman's with you Craig!

If you are restoring it 100% original your HQ must be done in Acrylic. But if you aren't sticking to 100% you'll likely be happier with Two Pack.
    Last I read you were about to use some aftermarket manifold so I guess your not sticking to 100% original?

Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    It's like ping-pong with Queensland and Sandman's with you Craig!

If you are restoring it 100% original your HQ must be done in Acrylic. But if you aren't sticking to 100% you'll likely be happier with Two Pack.
    Last I read you were about to use some aftermarket manifold so I guess your not sticking to 100% original?
    No I am aiming for original other than probably a set of 14 x 8 14 x 7 gts rims, have picked up an original inlet and pair of exhaust manifolds as well, I had always planned to paint in acrylic but just seems most panels shops give this negative vibe when you talk to them about it, its just I want to do it once and do it right

The issue your up against is most shop painters now have very little experience with acrylics. This generation were trained on 2 Pac.
    You'll need to find an old school painter. Don't go with anybody that doesn't fill you with confidence or baulks at the use of acrylic. Sometimes this is where a person who moved out of the panel shop into another business for health reasons but paints occasionally on the side (at home or borrows a mates booth).

Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    The issue your up against is most shop painters now have very little experience with acrylics. This generation were trained on 2 Pac.
    You'll need to find an old school painter. Don't go with anybody that doesn't fill you with confidence or baulks at the use of acrylic. Sometimes this is where a person who moved out of the panel shop into another business for health reasons but paints occasionally on the side (at home or borrows a mates booth).
    Yeah its seems I might have to look outside the Gong, spoke with Jason from Customs Restorations at Fairy Meadow and he said he would do it but claims their are more problems that are likely to arise down the track from acrylic, will try and source an experienced old school painter as I want it done right

I'd be interested in knowing what problems he thinks are likely to arise down the track from acrylic? Only problem I ever had using acrylic paint was due to the owner supplying 8 litres of paint that had sat in his garage for 5 years ..... People don't seem to realise that paint has a shelf life....
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Absinth View Post
    I'd be interested in knowing what problems he thinks are likely to arise down the track from acrylic? Only problem I ever had using acrylic paint was due to the owner supplying 8 litres of paint that had sat in his garage for 5 years ..... People don't seem to realise that paint has a shelf life....
    I'd say they are worried about shrink-backs from repairs that haven't had the time to dry out and settle. The problem is people send the car in and want it back in 2 weeks. (LOL as if any panel beater returns a car in two weeks!) But I understand that this is most likely the concern. The other old chestnut is humidity blisters which a lot more prone in Acrylic. Still it's a solid colour, nothing hard about the job.

Craig as you know I lived the 'gong. I can't even think of anyone to recommend you to. Chris Hodges used to send his cars to Bathurst for paint.
    Most of the guys I would trust no longer have or work in panel shops so I end up doing Acrylic jobs myself.

Couple of questions , can anyone tell me if the HQ instrumentation had the centre clock and were the seat belts a large silver buckle or a small silver buckle?

Sandman Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by hqhzvans View Post
    Couple of questions , can anyone tell me if the HQ instrumentation had the centre clock and were the seat belts a large silver buckle or a small silver buckle?
    HQHZ I don't think so No centre clock in my ute, just a Holden emblem, and with the seat belts I believe large silver buckle. I am sure someone will tell me if I am wrong.

Large seatbelts for sure

Thread Information