Thread: Aftermarket VF Van conversion- is this the first kit?

Sandman Driver

Aftermarket VF Van conversion- is this the first kit?

Friend of mine reckoned he saw an article on a VF Sandman this week somewhere, he couldnt remember what magazine he saw it in so I googled it, found this.
    I dunno if these guys are the only people doing it, - the call it a "VF Commodore Panel van / Sandman conversion canopy (same as the VU-VZ Sandman )" - Theres a fair bit of work gone into this by the looks, it looks better in bigger pics.
    http://jhp.com.au/holdenvf/utesandman.htm

(Same as VU, no access fom the cabin.) - $6250 fitted. If was really really awash with cash, I reckon it'd be a pretty useful piece of gear (lose the lettering on the van section and tailgate, keep the stripes) ... but then again, I could put the HJ wagon back on the road for $500 (lol!)

sm4-h.jpg

sm1-h.jpg

utesantman02-h.jpg
    Last edited by SLR_dave; 26-09-2013 at 05:52 AM.

Sandman Guru
    Is a VF ute body the same as a VE?
    If you want to turn a VF ute into a modern version of a Sandman there is a cheaper way, just call Jason for some decals!

They are a good looking set up. It'd be the way to go if you wanted the van.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Quote Originally Posted by SLR_dave View Post
    Aftermarket VF Van conversion- is this the first kit?
    The images shown are all VE's but the same thing basically. We know of a hand full of VF's already done.
    JHP is simply a re-seller for the manufacturer AMCAT (Australian Made Canopies and Tonneaus) www.amcat.com.au
    AMCAT are the only supplier of the conversion and all work has to be done at their factory at Bayswater, Melbourne, Victoria.
    AMCAT is a subsidiary of Hi-Class Composites Pty Ltd www.hi-classcomposites.com.au The principle owner is Christoper Wood and he and a partner were the original suppliers to Holden for the VY-VZ official Sandman conversions after being invited to build the "One Off" MAMBO Sandman VU prototype on which John Evans did the custom paint. Of course this one off turned into the conversion and 224 official Sandman conversion were built under the HBD (Holden By Design) tag, these were VY SII and VZ only. Back then the company was FTP Pty Ltd and this company is no longer. When FTP closed the moulds were purchased by Chris (again as he was no longer with FTP) pre-auction and modified slightly for strength improvements and offered as an aftermarket option for all models VU to the current VF. Two canopy shapes now exist VU-VZ and VE-VF.

The correct decals for the modern Sandman are available from only one place and that is the original designer of them John Evans Race Paint www.racepaint.com.au Fitting '70's decals to V-Series is just plain wrong.

Sandman Driver
    Thank you Innuendo, very interesting stuff to know. AMCAT look like they do some sweet work.

Maybe I do need a v series ute now!

"Fitting '70's decals to V-Series is just plain wrong."
    Yes totally agree.

Thread Information