Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thermo fans?

ive got a $500 set of twin thermos ordered through an auto elec i know, i also have a 65mm alloy radiator, this combo seems to go well my gauge is in fahrenheit but thermos come on at about 185 which i think is 85 degrees and keeps the car around that temp shutting off whenever required, i have driven her as hard as i like on 40 degree days with no over heating, i like the look of a clutch fan though, having said that my panelvan has a clutch fan and that overheated in the city i didnt have an overflow bottle hooked up at the time which didnt help

Banned
    Thermostat rating and radiator efficiency count for a lot. Also how clean the block is and water pump condition.
    5 row WB radiator and standard clutch fan and shroud on my 253 in my WB actually runs too cold. It has AC as well.

I had twin thermo's on my sandman ute, with air con, and never had a problem. They were fitted when it was about twelve month's old, so the engine and radiator were clean. It was driven out western nsw in summer, and close to the snow country in winter. No issue's ever.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    Thermostat rating and radiator efficiency count for a lot. Also how clean the block is and water pump condition.
    5 row WB radiator and standard clutch fan and shroud on my 253 in my WB actually runs too cold. It has AC as well.
    Yeah, my van's the same setup as your ute... 253/air-con and same radiator. Even on hot days it barely gets hot and the gauge just moves out of the blue, even with the air on. That big radiator does a good job.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

My wb runs very cold or just off the blue all the time, when i got it i took the radiator out had it cleaned and pressure tested flushed the block backwards and fowards by removing the thermostate, also tested it in a saucepan with a temp guage, it runs the original clutch fan and shround, 45 deg days are no problem even in traffic.
    my cobra runs twin thermos, as the clutch fan set up would be to far away from the radiator, but i have done the same to it, the thermos kick in at about 89degs in traffic and can keep it there while sitting around.
    Driver -1981 WB kingswood 253 4 speed
    Weekend- AC Cobra replica 302ho(425hp) 4 speed toploader
    Project Complete- SLR 5000 LH mock up(next door Neighbors)
    never late in a 5.0 litre

My wb runs very cold or just off the blue all the time, when i got it i took the radiator out had it cleaned and pressure tested ,
    flushed the block backwards and fowards by removing the thermostate, also tested it in a saucepan with a temp guage, it runs the original clutch fan and shroud, 45 deg days are no problem even in traffic.
    my cobra runs twin thermos, as the clutch fan set up would be to far away from the radiator, but i have done the same to it, the thermos kick in at about 89degs in traffic and can keep it there while sitting around.
    Driver -1981 WB kingswood 253 4 speed
    Weekend- AC Cobra replica 302ho(425hp) 4 speed toploader
    Project Complete- SLR 5000 LH mock up(next door Neighbors)
    never late in a 5.0 litre

Banned
    If your radiator is big enough and the system is clean, the standard clutch fan should be adequate. The thermostat should do its job. There are different heat range thermostats to suit.
    Thermofans only do the same thing a clutch fan does perhaps without any power loss.

Thread Information